Can anyone tell me how to put a rear disc on a skyway?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
IMG_5999.jpeg
Hey fellow bikers,

I've got a problem. I want to add rear disc brakes to skyways. I could engineer something but I don't have a shop at the moment. Can any of you please guide me to a solution? I just put together the most .......' bike I've ever done but it currently has no brakes. No brakes makes it the most dangerous bike I've ever done too. Thank you.

I should mention that my rims do not have the old school flanges to bolt the rotors to. I sure wish they did. :(

-Gig

Last edited:
I have ridden a prototype 20" Skyway Tuff with a disc brake compatible Profile hub. Was told it would never go to production. I don't think the aluminum flanges are stout enough to support a disc brake but, Tuff Wheels with aluminum flanges are in production now. Contact PlanetBMX.com for details on Skyway 50th anniversary Tuff Wheels. 20" & 24" available.

Your bike is seriously cool with the Tuffs on it. Have you considered 990 mounts under the chainstays?

I have ridden a prototype 20" Skyway Tuff with a disc brake compatible Profile hub. Was told it would never go to production. I don't think the aluminum flanges are stout enough to support a disc brake but, Tuff Wheels with aluminum flanges are in production now. Contact PlanetBMX.com for details on Skyway 50th anniversary Tuff Wheels. 20" & 24" available.
Thank you for the suggestion. Planet BMX sells those wheels for $350 and that is waaaaaaay above what I have left in my budget. I'd appreciate any further suggestions.

Your bike is seriously cool with the Tuffs on it. Have you considered 990 mounts under the chainstays?
I had to look up 990 mounts. I've been told that the aluminum must be heat treated if it gets welded. I've learned a lot and I'm still learning. The frame is already coated. So 990s might be a great idea for my next bike.

Just drill a hole, or use the fender mount hole, and mount a caliper brake!
Use skyway clear brake pads....
I do have some ideas about mounting a disc, but you would want a machine shop to do it! $100.00 an hour minimum!

Latest posts

Back