Can I drill out spoke holes on a hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Can this be done safely? Ive never done it before. I'm Building my dad a worksman-and he requested

"NO Dang SINGLE SPEEDS!! I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU RIDE THOSE Dang THINGS!"

So basically i need to drill out the spoke holes to carry a heavier gauge

You can do it but it may fail if not done correctly or if there is not enough material (hole too close to edge). It would be better to machine the holes or use a dremel to enlarge the holes away from the edge of the hub but it all depends on the hub. Back in the old days, we did this to a few Schwinn hubs (sin I know) and every once in a while a hub flange would crack...better to use tandem or 80s cruiser hubs if you can.

You should talk to Chuck. He gets Nexus 3 speeds from Worksman wheels and they have the big spokes. He could probably fix you up with both.

Uncle Stretch said:
You should talk to Chuck. He gets Nexus 3 speeds from Worksman wheels and they have the big spokes. He could probably fix you up with both.
Ill do that too, I just picked up a Schwinn Tandem-2 speed kickback...good shape...Dunno if the guage is right

Latest posts

Back