Can I unbend bent handlebars?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 35233

Deactivated account
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a slight slip up early this morning, bent my bars and now the grips are at different angles. Can I bend this back or is it just going to worsen?
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_4420.jpeg

I expect that would be very difficult to achieve with basic hand tools. Some bike shops have a frame straightener with an adjustable fulcrum. That might kinda work.

FFS-2_004.jpg

The more you bend metal the weaker it becomes. That's why a bent fork should be replaced, it may bend easily or develop a crack and break. Your handlebars are high, so they have a lot of leverage and will bend again easily. So a new set is needed.

I broke a stem off my Schwinn stingray when I was about 8. Crashed one day, the stem snapped off the next day. I was young and agile so I just jumped off the bike and landed on my feet with the bars still in my hands. Lucky that time.

A friend crashed one day (hit a deer). The bars got bent some on his race bike. A couple days later he was sprinting and the bars finished breaking off. Over 100 stitches in his face was the result. New bars are far cheaper than Emergency Room bills.

At our local coop any bent bars (and any other bent parts) get tossed in the metal recycle bin.

I broke a stem off my Schwinn stingray when I was about 8. Crashed one day, the stem snapped off the next day. I was young and agile so I just jumped off the bike and landed on my feet with the bars still in my hands. Lucky that time.

A friend crashed one day (hit a deer). The bars got bent some on his race bike. A couple days later he was sprinting and the bars finished breaking off. Over 100 stitches in his face was the result. New bars are far cheaper than Emergency Room bills.

At our local coop any bent bars (and any other bent parts) get tossed in the metal recycle bin.
That is exactly what I needed from everyone, especially this stitches story. From now on I'll just ask how hurt I can get because that seems to be what finally deters me.

The docs and nurses just shake their heads when you tell them you crashed your bike, especially when you are over 50. I'm doing my best not to let that happen again.

The docs and nurses just shake their heads when you tell them you crashed your bike, especially when you are over 50. I'm doing my best not to let that happen again.
I've been dragging myself to the hospital for bike related injuries since I was 7 when I was splashing my Wrangler through a pond-like puddle full of broken bottles in my schoolyard. (I stepped on one getting off my bike when my tire popped and got my first self tended stitches). I took a hiatus from wheel related sport after winding up in a coma while skateboarding.. into a moving subway. I have no shame when it comes to meeting nurses

But hey, if you got stories, by all means drop them here! I wanna get something thrilling going that we can return to for laughs and lessons. Will be replacing the bars.

Last edited:
We can "break" it down some more for bike mechanical related issues.

Bike front end parts: bars, forks or stem failures often mean an instant face plant. Ditto the front wheel falling off. Busted teeth, broken jaw bone, concussion, knocked out, etc. You wake up in the hospital 3 days later wondering what happened and because of the head injury you have no memory of it. You find your jaw wired shut and you get fed via a straw for a couple months and maybe a bunch of very expensive dental work to follow.

Middle of the bike stuff like a broken crank, pedal or seat means the family jewels land on the bike frame. Hard. Yeah it hurts but you will get over it a few minutes. Watch some of the many vids on youtube of bmxers and skateboarders landing on hand rails to get the picture.

Rear of the bike issues can mean the wheel locks up and you skid to a stop. Maybe caused by shifting into the spokes or a loose axle nut that lets the wheel slip and jam up. You might fishtail and land on your keister. More embarrassment than injury.

Back