Can someone give me some information on this raleigh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine from work has this bike laying around at his house. He is interested in restoring it, but he wants to know if it would be worth the time and money to do so. From what I can see it has Peaked fenders, lugged frame and an internally geared hub (not sure what kind or if it works.) Any information or ideas would be appreciated. thanks guys!

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

the top tube and frame lugs look strikingly similar to my Hercules I picked up. Mine is roughly late 40's early 50's. I know the bars and seat are NOT original.
P9150193.jpg

That bike is probably a 70's model, going by the handlebar shifter. It's got the good raleigh rims. The date should be stamped in 2 digits on the rear hub shell on that Sturmey Archer 3 speed with coaster brake wheel. It is an english made Raleigh, so it's a good solid bike that will last a long time. It may need tires, they are 26 x 1 3/8ths. On the ones I've come across, the original paint is good quality, it will probably clean up and look great with soap, water, and a couple coats of car wax. If your friend likes it, and it's the right size, I would say fix it up and ride it. A nice Brooks saddle will be a good addition, although that seat on it may be in pretty good shape. To fix it up for resale may not be a good idea, in great shape it may only get around $100. As for putting money into it, it looks like it just needs a good cleanup and some lube. The chrome on that bike will clean up with fine steel wool and a little oil or wd-40. If the tires are good and they hold air, it won't need anything but cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back