Can this be fixed or saved?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_0068.jpg

It's an S-2 .The tape marks where it's starting to split from where the bead of the tire rests. The tire still stays in place....and holds air. It doesn't need to be perfect in terms of appearance,just function.....until I can afford a replacement...

So.....can it?

Hmmmm, not sure, but looking at the position of the tire-valve, I'ld say the tire doesn't stay in place.
Anyhow, as long as it's all in one piece,you could take the gamble. When it bursts, it's a free walk home. :mrgreen:

Here is a really crazy, very rat rodish idea, that has worked for me before sometimes. ...and sometimes not :lol: :oops:

black industrial tape or duck tape on the inside of the dry tire and around the bead to a non-split area,

when inflated(slowly) it should(may) compact the the sticky tape glue stuff around the split and the bead and rim will compress to hold.
And its unnoticeable on the outside.

i have done this on a Carlisle lightning dart and a few other tires, my ratio of it to work to not work is 5work:3not work sooo its no guarantee

I see a dent and it looks like there is another at the valve. Yes dents can be worked out but thats probably not going to solve your tire sliding issue. Old tires get real hard and no matter how much you pump em up they slide. I had good luck using clear silicone and put a few dabs around before inflating.

Just to clarify.....the tire sliding on the rim wasn't the issue (that was how I mounted the tire). The issue is the two splits in the rim. I can't seem to find an S-2 replacement, and I was considering trying to fix this one.

Latest posts

Back