Can you explain the Fixie craze?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just at the mall, all of the bike racks were filled with neon colored fixies. Must have been at least 25. The hipsters need to be different to be cool, just like everyone else...

Maybe they got hooked on fixed gear after being in spin bike classes at the gym? Maybe they like to stay upright and on the pedals at a red light? :roll:

I don't think I'd ride a fixie, around here SS is bad enough. But I saw a vid of a guy on a fixie carving turns down a steep hill in SF like he was on a snowboard, skid to the right, straight, skid left, straight, skid right etc. He was going slow, the hill was steep enough that somehow it was possible for him to be fast enough to skid but be slow enough to be graceful. All the neon, uh, not so much.

The craze came also from messengers who had fixies cuz they are the simplest possible. The narrow bars to get through btwn cars. The messengers were cool, rebels right? Exclusive, super skilled. The Navy Seals of the bicycle world! And so, look cool, get the girl?

I started to build one, a bare metal Schwinn with cut down Ross chrome moose horn bars, it's still in the basement. It'll turn into something else.

Or maybe its just the colors,,,I needed to wear sun safety glasses to build this one
002-51.jpg

Funny, one eclectic niche asking another similar one too explain it's existence.

I think its quite simple, in mainstream culture bicycles are lame. If you want to be cool, your bicycle cannot be just another lame bike - it has to be different in some fundamental way - like not having brakes, or being able to coast. :mrgreen: Or maybe by having a polo seat and a five foot tall sissy bar. Same old story.

A fixie is freedom from mechanical complexity. The fixie is quieter than a derailleur bike due to the straight chain line. With no slack in the chain, acceleration is instantaneous. The fixie requires your constant concentration for pedalling through turns. The fixie amplifies every bump through the pedals. Early Tour de France competitors rode fixies with flip flop hubs (one gear for the flats; the other for climbing the mountains). Olympic track bike racers compete on fixies. I built one, enjoyed it but later sold it because I had too many bikes. I am not a strong enough rider to commute on a fixie. I will always miss my fixie.
cooperprofile.jpg

My single. Not a fixed anymore but a single freewheel with two brakes. This is one of my old track bikes. I probably won close to a hundred races on this bike before retiring it to the road.

CPO-Hubs-sm.jpg

I had a Masi fixie and loved cruising around town on it. I sold it this past spring.

Wal-Mart sells ss/fixies now. By the time it gets to Wallyworld it isn't cool anymore....so look for the hipsters to start riding something else. :roll:

Back