Canadian Klunker...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Thought I post this bike as it certainly qualifies as a Rat! :D

It`s a vintage "Sunshine" Klunker/cruiser that was built in Kitchener Ontario. A "patina build" , I absolutely love the the paint on this bike! A weathered cherry red that truly has "been there". It spent most of it`s later life in a cattle barn.
A simple build with 80`s alloy rims, a Shimano coaster brake rear hub, and a unknown vintage handlebar, Toadstool grips, and a B72 saddle. Crank is the original Sunshine logo one piece. Pedals are vintage alloy Gibson`s (1923)

4782394613_8265c6e5f5_b.jpg

4782401645_d38374d56a_b.jpg

4783032260_45423e7ba2_b.jpg

Thanks for having look, eh! ~MERK

hey merk, thats slick. where'd ya pick up that one?

you heading to hamilton this weekend?

i got me a couple sunshines a couple years back. there still rusting away in my basement.
i tell ya, sunshine built thier bikes tonka tuff. i actually think mine are made with farm machinery/implement parts.
IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

there's not a bearing in the bike. (all brass bushings)
IMG_0537.jpg

Thanks all! Really appreciate the props. :D

Leigh, It came from a buddy who was going to restore it, but lost interest. Soon as I saw it, It said "Let`s go Klunking!" :lol:

I know what you mean about the Sunshine stuff being heavy duty...that bike feels like it`s made out of iron water pipe. Since Sunshine actually did make farm implements, they made everything super strong. They eventually became an office equipment company and I also have a filing cabinet made by them. That thing is ridiculously heavy! From a time when North America made stuff to LAST...

Back