Can't Stop the Komet!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just put one of my projects together... This one's for the wifey. It's a 24 inch Firestone 500 II. She had wanted to paint it pink, but honestly most of the paint is there and and all the details/graphics are there... I'm just gonna steelwool the fenders and stuff, hammerite paint the rims and reupholster the seat... The wheel on the rear has a Komet hub that feels nice and smooth, but when you pedal back to stop, little or nothing happens. I've opened up a few cheap chinese hubs and stuff, but I was hoping someone here had some experience with Komet hubs, any tricks, anyhting I need to know before opening one up...
The banana seat is from a girls 20" warrior princess bike, as are the grips and bars. Keepin' it in the firestone family...
Any help with the hubs would be sweet.
2849413358_25c577559e.jpg

The Fitchel & Sachs Komet should be pretty much like any Bendix/Shimano/KT coaster brake hub in the way it operates. Simple cone clutch with expanding brake shoes. I believe the brake shoes have a spring clip to make them retract when not in use, unlike most modern coaster you're likely to find. I have a Komet on a old Murray, and I have to say it is probably the best coaster brake I've ever used. Very good modulation, handsome construction, and the smoothest rolling of any hub of any kind I've ever encountered. They usually have an oil spout, but I use grease only.

Barring major problems, you can take it apart easily without little bits and pieces flying all around. I'd recommend assembling the innards outside the hub shell after degreasing, so that you can get a visual idea of how it is supposed to work. This may help diagnose a problem.

Well, this was on the bike that got stolen before I had a chance to tear it down... OH well. On the bright side, at least I don't have to worry about it anymore...

Back