cantilever gravitybike updated pics 11-23

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im incorporating some of the style of rats and cruisers into a gravity speed bike. the top of the seat posts sits about the same height as a bmx frame but the wheel base is the same as a 26" bike, perfect for g-biking. this will take ALOT of work and fabrication of parts to get it where i want it, the bars alone will probably eat up a few hours and ill have to completely build from scratch the body panels and 'seat.' since i ride recreationally i probaly wont hang any weight on it. im planning to put it in the world of wheels show at bartly hall this coming february and i have alot more stuff to hang on it! waddy'all think?
fast eddie
cantileverGbike13.jpg

cantileverGbike23.jpg

cantileverGbike33.jpg

Re: cantilever gravitybike

you're a sick man! j/k that's a mean bike.

the front end looks a lil higher than it really is cuz its sitting on stands. that fork - if im remembering right - raisese the fron end about 2.5 inches. it doesnt have alot of travel and it was made for road riding, those types can be found on recumbents more than anything else. i bought two of those frames and im building a cruiser w/ a chopper front end from the other one. this bike will take a looong time to get done, but it looked so cool i posted pics early!
fast eddie outty

Front end is sweet.Thoose bars are perfect.

ahhh eddie. another sweet g-bike from the chop shop of rappido eduardo. this must be the frame that needed the hard to find fork. well looks like you found one. this bike does look super fast just sitting there. eddie im gonna have to peep one of these g-bikes out you got next spring. looking good as always eddie.

Easy E

thanx guys! this weekend i gonna switch out the fork for a rigid one that will match the frame better. that rst ive had for years and it was expensive so i gotta use it on something, but not this project - it just doesnt flow with the bike. the rigid fork i will install has a bit of curve instead of welded on dropouts, and the diameter of the tubing is about the same as the frame tubes, and it has v-brake mounts and it'll sit the front end a bit lower and i think will look way better...but it'll be alot more work sanding/prepping/painting/clear so it'll take a bit longer to finish..but its cold outside so ill have a bit more time for my garage and some 320 grit!
fast eddie

fast eddie said:
i put pegs on the front of mine for two reasons, i use 'em to put the bike up on stands, and they will act as crasy bars if the bike got laid down for any reason.
fast eddie

Ahhh.....excellent. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it that way. Do people take many spills when gravity racing?

Looking good Eddie. I think you should puy that fork on the other frame you brought by the other day.

hey godhatesclevelend, i just saw your question...crashing is part of any racing. also holding a bike by the front wheel is more steady than by the back so thats also a reason for the front pegs. i dont like exposed bolts or threads either, so if there werent pegs there would at least be acorn nuts or something to protect the bolt and anyone else that might come into contact w/ it in a tangle. (knock on wood!)
fast eddie outty

on 'stock' gravity bikes number plates are a controversial thing, alot of guys use clear industrial or welding masks cut to the max size for number plates allowed by the rules, and they mount 'em in a way that they act like a small fairing and its not diffucult to hide alot of rider behind them. if i fab a curved plate it wont slo be down, and more importantly it'll look wicked cool! thick bike will be way too light to be competitive, but its more geared to promoting g-biking by sitting in shows than anything else....however i will be riding it every chance i get next summer!
fast eddie

ive found that the cup wire brush in the drill press is the best way to strip paint and rust off of smaller parts like forks etc..
drllprsspntstrppr3.jpg

i had to do some grinding to the handlbars to get rid of the 'nubs' that were left when i cut this section away from the rest. these were a set of bmx bars w/ a cross member, the cross member is what left the 'nubs.' the parts stripped of paint...
cantileverGbike63.jpg

a healthy dose of self etching primer..
cantileverGbike73.jpg

now ill let 'em cure for at least a week. i need to decide what im gonna do for a color scheme, im leaning toward black and tan, that sounds cool to me for some reason.
fast eddie

Back