Cardiff Westbourne Headache...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys-

So I got my new Cardiff Westbourne wood grips today. Had a few problems...

Right off I notice that the color of the grips doesn't match. I understand that these are natural wood and that there will be some variation, but it's pretty severe. I should have stopped right there and returned them, but I had already waited a week and patience is not a strong point of mine.

So I go to install them on a project that I've been working on all winter (these are to be the final touch to complete an otherwise sweet bike). They don't fit. I'm using standard, 7/8" cruiser bars and they don't fit. They really aren't even close to fitting. The wood handle fits over a plastic insert that actually clamps to the bars. The insert is stepped - it gets tighter as it gets to the end.

So after some lube, I get the grip about half way down and it gets really tight...So, thinking, "this has to fit," I keep pushing...Split. The grip splits.

So, figuring that I can glue the split, I get the dremel out and start boring out the plastic, but it melts and then hardens and is just a mess. The other grip is the same exact size.

So, I am now to the point of wanting to take a hammer and smash them. Some one talk me down...Some one tell me that these are intended for smaller (3/4"?) bars and I should have known this (can't find any fitment info on cardiff's website)...Someone tell me I'm not crazy.

Or someone tell me just to smash them, because that's what I'd really like to do.

Never seen those grips but they should be standard to fit on cruiser bars. Did you loosen the retaining ring?

cman said:
Never seen those grips but they should be standard to fit on cruiser bars. Did you loosen the retaining ring?

Yeah, I actually took the clamps completely off to ensure that wasn't the problem...

This won't help you, but the price they charge for those Cardiff grips the things should require absolutely NO frustration on your part, they should go on perfectly every time.
Sorry it's been a pain in the butt, I have always wanted to try a set of those, now I'm a little wary...

Back