Cargo & cycle truck front rack question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What opinions do you, preferably experienced cargo riders, have on the front rack/basket for a cargo bike?

Considering a 26 rear, 20 front set up and wondering if it’s more advantageous to have the front cargo area solid with the frame, cylce truck style, or a beefy rack/basket that moves with the fork.

‘With the fork’ is definitely an easier fab job, but thinking about stability as weight moves in the turns. Or is that generally a non-issue?

If you keep fork trail measurements minimal, having the fork mounted rack is totally manageable, even if it may sacrifice some stability at higher speeds. You can run a bit more trail with a frame mounted platform, though it can be disconcerting at first when you turn the handlebars, and your load remains in line with the frame. You get used to that quickly, in my experience.

I'm not a fan of fork or bar mounted. Minimal........barrel bag or water bottle, sure. But a rack and some dunnage? No thanks.

Groceries is the plan. Need space for 2-3 paper bags worth (though using re-usable fabric ones) with the possibility of a box of beverages, too. A backpack/bookbag won’t be quite enough. Cargo bike was the request and something cycle-truck like was preferred over extra long.

You can run a bit more trail with a frame mounted platform, though it can be disconcerting at first when you turn the handlebars, and your load remains in line with the frame. You get used to that quickly, in my experience.
One day I rode my son's Yuba cargo bike with a frame-mounted front platform. I probably would have gotten used to it but, in the short run, it was disconcerting (translation: it made me nuts). Son likes the bike a lot. Grandson is often on the back (note cushion and handgrip).

yuba 1.jpg

Latest posts

Back