"Catahula Style" - update 7/2/13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Too late for a diary... not much of a build...

As I have said before; I ride 8 to 9 miles a day with the junkyard dog... Here is the dog with the former bike - a 38 Schwinn with a lot of original paint still left. The seat is a 50's vintage Troxel

Here is the new bike - a 37 Schwinn with a 50 year old "amateur refinish" . I specifically wanted to use everything original that I could, and I wanted to try out a 26/9 drive ratio. I have the fenders and an appropriate chainguard that I will install later...

Believe it or not this seat is actually more comfortable than the other bike! :shock:

Original 1937 dated Morrow hub, new driver, new 9 tooth cog, new bearings and new stainless double butted spokes...

1940 dated crank(?), 7 inch throw just the way I like it, original 26 tooth chainwheel. USA made vintage B-D marked chain in mint condition, 50's vintage Schwinn pedals...

Original forebrake, original rim, new stainless double-butted spokes, new Kenda BFG style tread tires...

Original Lincoln Headbadge, original headset with new bearings, postwar Schwinn stem and bars...

Re: "Catahula Style"

Nice

Way cool dude! For a minuet there, I thought you were going to be running a bmx micro drive setup on here :? :p
keep up the awesome.work!

ccd

Both bikes are super-cool 8) ....but in the first pic, what's under the tarps? :D

I have been riding this almost 3 weeks now. I am pulling the 26T/9T gears without even noticing. I think I will step up to 26T/8T. :shock: I need to call Memory Lane and see if the have an 8 tooth cog for this Morrow hub. :)

Been riding 4 weeks now... I ordered the 8T cog from Memory lane on Friday. I rode the Shelby tonight with a standard 26T/10T and felt like I was riding a little girls bike! :shock:

Today we are going to install my new 8T cog and spread the rear dropout. I will introduce you to some highly specialized bicycle tools that you might aspire to own someday. Heretofore, I have been wresting this wheel into the rear triangle with some difficulty. Today we will rectify that. I have learned that Morrow hubs are a little wider than New Departure hubs.

Here is the new cog, and a NOS driver and lockring. I will replace the whole assembly, and keep the present 9T assembly intact for future use.

Our spacing is presently a piddling 4 1/16in. :(

The hub itself measures 4 1/2in... doesn't sound like much of a difference, but this traingle is stiff! I struggle every time to get this installed.

Our first specialized bicycle frame tool... the "RM-1 Rear Dropout Tool" (Renaissance Man). This photo is of the second application. The first attempt was only partially effective. You can see I have cranked it out to 6in this time! :shock:

So how did we do? The spacing is now 4 5/8in - just about perfect. BUT - how do we know if the rear triangle is still in alignment??

So here is our second highly specialized bicycle frame tool - the "SE-2 Frame Alignment Gauge" (Straight Edge) The result is not quite perfect... The right side is out about 1/8 more than the left side... :(

Lucky for us; we have another highly specialized bicycle frame tool at our disposal, the "ZAD-56 Rear Triangle Fine Adjustment Jig" (Zora Arkus Duntov). This is really the only tool for the job.

So, how did the ZAD-56 perform? ...Dang!, 4&1/2in - right on the money and perfectly centered to boot...

With the rear dropout dialed in, now we move on the the new high speed cog conversion. Here you can see the proper utilization of our fourth specialized bicycle tool the "JC-4 Cog Installation Tool" (Jed Clampet) The cog is threaded right handed.

The lock ring is threaded left handed.

Here is the new driver and 8T cog assembly shown next to the former 9T assembly. The wheel assembly itself is secured by the "SM-5 All Purpose Bicycle Fixin Fixture" (SimpleMan)

Skip tooth chains are expensive and most of them are worn out... So pretty much every time I take mine off I clean and lube it. Here is our last specialized bicycle tool for the day - The "KMN-6 Bicycle Chain Cleaner" (Kirkland Mixed Nuts). The proper operational sequence is (1) immerse chain into a solution of gasoline and agitate repeatedly (2) immerse chain into a solution of highly concentrated degreaser and agitate repeatedly.

Here it is - the final product! Who the heck do I think I am kidding... 26T/8T?... Who can peddle that? :shock:

Re: "Catahula Style" - new stuff 5/11

I gotta get me one of those ZAD-56 tools.
Wonder if you can straighten forks with it too?

Re: "Catahula Style" - new stuff 5/11

That's 85 1/2 gear inches. I used to ride 52-16 1/2"when I was in my 20's. I noticed a couple of things. Roadies get a funny look on their face when you sail past on a rusty fenderless tanker, :? but they will probably pass you back when the grade changes. :lol: Also, that a front brake is a darn good idea. :wink: Anything I ride these days has shift cables if it runs over 70 inches. :roll: :mrgreen:

Back