CCM Ninja: Calling it Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I picked this CCM up a couple of years ago:

I've had some fun with it, and it has existed in a few different forms, the most recent being:

But, this frame is a nice, lightweight, clean design...I wanted to build a commuter styled bike, possibly a fixie. This was the best candidate among my stable of frames.
I picked up a set of Project Fixie Deep-V rims with a flip-flop rear hub, stripped the bike down and tried them on for size:

I'm loving it!
There are still a few changes to be made...I plan to:
-Trim the handlebars back so the grips go right to the first curve
-Swap on a lighter seat
-Swap the seat post with a longer one, possibly a lay-back
-And paint everything, except for the chain ring and crank set, matte black

For the paint, I want to try using Plasti Dip. This way, if I don't like it, I can just remove it and the original paint will still be in tact.

So, I picked this CCM up a couple of years ago:

I've had some fun with it, and it has existed in a few different forms, the most recent being:

But, this frame is a nice, lightweight, clean design...I wanted to build a commuter styled bike, possibly a fixie. This was the best candidate among my stable of frames.
I picked up a set of Project Fixie Deep-V rims with a flip-flop rear hub, stripped the bike down and tried them on for size:

I'm loving it!
There are still a few changes to be made...I plan to:
-Trim the handlebars back so the grips go right to the first curve
-Swap on a lighter seat
-Swap the seat post with a longer one, possibly a lay-back
-And paint everything, except for the chain ring and crank set, matte black

For the paint, I want to try using Plasti Dip. This way, if I don't like it, I can just remove it and the original paint will still be in tact.
That is going to look mean!

Luke.

I have the frame the cranks and the wheels for this same bike mine is a 1946 and is nowhere near as nice as yours .
I'm thinking about putting it in the summer build off .
I like what you've done with yours .

I have the frame the cranks and the wheels for this same bike mine is a 1946 and is nowhere near as nice as yours .
I'm thinking about putting it in the summer build off .
I like what you've done with yours .
Thanks. They are such nice, clean frames...it looks perfect with the skinny tires too. I did have to stretch the rear stays and fork to fit these axles though.

Update: I switched the seat for a much lighter Raleigh mtb seat I had from an old project.
I also switched the pedals for some vintage road bike ones.
I swear I shed almost 2lbs just from those swaps...that seat must've been filled with lead!
I shortened the bars a bit and switched the grips for some newer black ones and drilled a mounting hole in the fork, my Projekt Fixie front brake set should be here Friday.
I need to find a longer seat post. I would like to get at least the bars and the post painted black...then I might leave the frame alone for a bit...I'm really starting to like the look of the black against the faded paint.

I needed a longer seat post. I checked all of my parts bikes and bins to no avail...the diameter of the tube was 26mm, I couldn't find anything...then, I had a moment of clarity. A beautiful set of mtb handlebars was right on top of my main bin!

The center measured at 1". I took my grinder with a cut off wheel and just eased the opening of the seat clamp (which is integrated into the frame on this model) a touch and cut off one side of the bars. It fit into the seat, and the tube and clamped down tightly!

The length was almost exactly what I needed. It's plenty long enough for my 6'4" frame (and dancer's legs) now! Lol

It has a nice, slight rearward angle to it. Plus, the bars were already black, so I save a step there too! ;)
4b84cbed94f95fee1050b07617459e82.jpg

Got my brake and lever today. Decided to trim some more off the bars...make more of a statement with it.
bafdf8ebb2babe80c591ab8a021c0420.jpg
19b06d34c9ffad74ee752a68db754b3f.jpg
48c3652a79b8601a16473acb46689111.jpg
355f81743999e075c4d567bc73ea50d5.jpg
30c40d953ea1b25c827013f17af468e0.jpg
ad3635b98c3b20abe05a184d7249688d.jpg
84cc7faefcd814b51713b97efc67e6fe.jpg

It's clean, comfortable and tight...and if my serial number decoding is correct, it's a 1966 model? Not to shabby for a 49 year old!

how does it ride with the handlebars that way? Is it comfortable?
It took some getting used to, but it's really not bad. It rides SO nice!

I added a few finishing touches. A phone mount (for utility), couple of decals, and some pinstriping at the gussets.

Latest posts

Back