Centennial hub help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
O.K. So i'm tryin to get my pnony Phantom rolling,heres the problem!I have one of the centennial Phantom coaster hubs laced to the rear wheel, this hub was a freebie and came w/o a dust cover, snap ring, and sprocket. What the heck fits it? My LBS attempted to hook me up for cheap but the parts don't fit! :? Later & PEACE!!!!

It maybe a Shimano, the problem I am running into is that all the wheel cogs are "dished" and "embossed" this makes the cog protrude into the snap ring chanel preventing the ring to fully seat.That condition makes it impossible for the cog to ever positively retain its position.All you have to do is tweak it a little bit and the snap ring dis-engages and comes loose.I looked at a picture of this hub on the MLC site and it shows this unit with a flat cog and all componants, i.e. dust cover, snap ring, cog, are silver in color. All componants available to me @ LBS are satin black and seem to be different as they just flat do not fit!

Does the cog have the 3 little ears in the center like a Bendix or Sturmey Archer? I have some Bendix cogs that are just flat steel, no dishing or anything.

Thanks for making me THINK there Gordon! I have several old bendix hubs laying around here, I just went out to look at my problem again.It turns out that the cog was not the problem, the dust cover was too wide to allow the necessary clearance! I pulled a dust cover from an old Bendix 70 and fit it to the hub. Next I fitted the 22 tooth Nexus cog from my LBS to the hub and the snap ring fit perfect! Problem solved!Next stop, LBS for a pair of Wald cruiser bars and I will have enough parts for a rolling bike! :mrgreen: Later & PEACE!!!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back