Chain Popping Off!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice/guidance. I recently picked up a cruiser for the wifey with a 8 spd shimano hub and having issues with the chain popping off when riding (doesn't matter what gear). I do noticed that the gears do jump at times when riding and assuming it is related but wanted to confirm if that's the case or not (Bike does have a chain tensioner). Any help is much appreciated.

Is this an 8 speed internal hub? I have one on my Basman and don't have any chain issues. If it is coming out of gear you probably need to adjust the shifter cable.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's an 8 speed with a derailleur? Which sprocket is the chain jumping off from, the front? Check the crank bearings for play, that will allow the sprocket to move out of alignment. If the cranks need tightened, then it may need grease on the bearings too.

Thanks for the response everyone, It is and internal hub. My friend who I bought it from told me he never had a chain popping off problem. Bike was put together at a local shop and has had good use before I purchased. I'll look into the input you all stated and hopefully I come up with something.

All good advice.Used bike,one gear in the front ( chainwheel ) and one gear ( cog ) in the back. The chain should go in a straight line ( chainline ) from one to the other. A used chain that has some links that stick can give that gear slip feel and throw the chain. It is tedious work, but with the chain removed, flex every link back and forth. If any are hard to flex,clean and lube the complete chain. If any links still bind, replace the chain. Check the tensioner for alignment with the chainline.

Also look for a bent sprocket, probably the front as I have never seen a rear bent!

also look at heavy wear of the chain and sprocket , or a chain link may have broke on only one side (happened to me and did not notice , it made the chain skip) , could also be a rusted chain link that don't pivot anymore , or perhaps something stuck in a link ?

Latest posts

Back