Chain ring sizes? HARD to Pedal!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got one of my projects on the road....wow was it hard to pedal! I have a very large front chain ring. Can someone tell me the basics. Obviously I need a smaller one in front. How do I figure that out?

Ok, first off, I am not an expert nor did I stay at a Holidai Inn Express last night. That being said, here is my simple explanation.

Example: a 26" wheel's diameter is 26". To find the circumfrence multiply 26 by 3.14 (pi)= about 81 inches.

For ease of math we will say you are running a 45 tooth chain ring and a 15 tooth sprocket. So for each revolution of the crank there are three revolitions of the sprocket/wheel.
One crank revolution= 243" travel (81x3)

If you had a 60 tooth chain ring and the same 15 tooth sprocket it would be 4 revolutions of the wheel or 324".

If you keep the 45 CR and go to a 20 tooth sprocket you would get 2 1/4 wheel revs per crank rev or 182".

You have to pedal harder to travel further. If this is not correct, somebody better explain it to both of us.

What do you have on there, a 52 tooth? They used those on boys bikes back in the 30's-50's when boys were men. :lol: If you want to keep the 52, find a 22 for the rear. That's about the best you can do. If that's not easy enough, put a 46 on the front with a 22 on the back...then the girls will be able to keep up with you. :oops: Gary

B607 said:
What do you have on there, a 52 tooth? They used those on boys bikes back in the 30's-50's when boys were men. :lol: If you want to keep the 52, find a 22 for the rear. That's about the best you can do. If that's not easy enough, put a 46 on the front with a 22 on the back...then the girls will be able to keep up with you. :oops: Gary

:lol: :lol: :lol:

46/18 is common gearing for 26" wheels, not too hard, nor dog-slow. A 49-52 front would take 20-22 for a similar ratio. Changing the rear ring could be easy or hard, depending on the age of your hub. For skip-tooth cogs, x's 1/2 those numbers obviously.

Latest posts

Back