Chain Skipping Issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well its been bugging me long enough, I just need to get some ideas on a fix. This is on my 50 Indian that has been modified, I have some ideas what might be wrong such as the drive sprocket has pointed teeth and the rear cog are square on top, but it only skips on the high speed gear, looking forward to you feed back, I may have to change the crank ring but,,,,, I really don't want to :? :(
101_9425.jpg

101_9424.jpg

101_9423.jpg

Maybe the outer cog is too close to the dropout and the chain hits it, or is it possible that you have too much or too little chain and an idler wheel is contacting or is too far back to grab enough teeth?

There is something about SA 3 spd hubs 'slipping' in high, its been an ongoing issue for a long time. Are you thinking you are skipping the chain and it is really the hub, or you sure its the chain/sprockets? If it is as you think, is this with a new, and good quality chain. Cheap chains stretch out, and that unevenly, and ride up the tooth. If you get the chain properly tensioned at the tight part of the chain it can still be too loose at another.

deorman said:
Maybe the outer cog is too close to the dropout and the chain hits it, or is it possible that you have too much or too little chain and an idler wheel is contacting or is too far back to grab enough teeth?
BINGO !!!!! the master link was hitting on the triangle , I think I can flip the chain so that the link is inside and it should clear. Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back