Chain tensioning device for tricycle coaster brake - what is this thing called?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: With further research, I've come up with two answers but I'll leave this up in case someone has another answer. I have found "drop out adjusters" (obvious) or "chain tugs."

Even with this info, I am not having any luck finding these things yet. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

Original Post:

I've seen this part on some photos of tricycles but never see one in person.

It pulls back on the axle of the coaster brake to tension the chain and maintain the position of the cb axle.

This would be very handy on my trike. When you set up the coaster brake, it is a bear getting the cb aligned for a straight chain line on the very short chain that loops over the cb sprocket and axle sprocket, and getting the chain to proper tension at the same time.

This thing would seem to be the perfect solution.

My problem is: I can't find one because I don't know what search term to use. What would you call it?

For those unfamiliar, what you see below is the rear axle with sprocket at left, the axle nut for the coaster brake is circled. On a trike set up like this, the coaster brake is behind the rear axle. Pedal chain drives the 3 speed coast brake hub. The hub drives the rear axle.

What I'm looking for is the device like an eye bolt sticking out to the right. I supposed I could make a pair, but it would be much easier to just find some to buy - if I just knew what to search for.

upload_2018-1-4_22-44-52.png

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks! I figured this would be one of those common knowledge things of which I was simply ignorant. :) These will make my trike project SO much easier. Getting that coaster brake to axle sprocket adjustment and chain line perfect was a real hassle last time. Then, I'd get it just right, and it would slip just enough to screw it up again. I finally torqued down the nuts harder than I really wanted to and it stayed put a long time. I suspect these will make it a breeze, relatively. The website also has some very fancy ones as well, kinda cool, but you barely notice these things on a trike.

There are dozens and dozens of styles of chain tensioners...look under the chain tensioner section of planetbmx, and you'll probably see 30+ different choices :43:.

Look forward to seeing the finished trike!
Jason

Banjo tensioner...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back