Chance to buy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time post for me. I have an opportunity to purchase this bike but not sure what its worth. Minimal info on it but it is an American Flyer. Anyone have any thoughts. Best pics I have....

Attachments

• AF.JPG
    AF.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 242
  • AF2.JPG
    AF2.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 220
The women's bike is a late 40's early 50's CWC made bike, and looks like it's mostly all there. Unfortunately, women's bikes still don't have much market value, even in mint condition. But it would be a good one to restore, but won't make much money if resold.

Your tandem looks good, and is Columbia made.

The women's bike is a late 40's early 50's CWC made bike, and looks like it's mostly all there. Unfortunately, women's bikes still don't have much market value, even in mint condition. But it would be a good one to restore, but won't make much money if resold.

Your tandem looks good, and is Columbia made.
Great. Thanks for the information. Yeah I'm just looking to restore it for my wife and daughter. I don't really care that it's not going to be worth that much I think it'll be a cool bike. What do you think a fair offer for the bike would be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a tough question. If all the parts are good (On women's bikes they usually are) and the rust isn't bad, I'd offer 50 bucks and be prepared to pay $75. The problem is too many people think old bikes in any condition are priceless. If they still want a high price after you offer, see if they'll trade a new Walmart bike for it. Then go spend 75 bucks at Walmart and there you go.
That's just me. You can't match the quality of a vintage bike for 100 bucks. That will be a cool bike restored. It depends on the condition and how much it'll be worth to have a vintage bike to pass down in the family.

I have a uncontrollable habit of lookin at bikes like that as parts bikes as such that's the way I value them , curved fender braces with Gothic fenders 60 bux , nice rack with curved braces aswell , skip tooth wheel set if they are in decent shape and reusable good money and skiptooth chain ring and chain , Chainguard are all re usable and bring decent money I would value that bike at 100.-200 and base my offer in that aspect at the same time trying to get it as cheap as possible of course.

Rafael

Your ladies bike is a very nice score. It will look sweet when you get it done.
Don't know what the other bike is but it's screaming to be rat-tastic!
Good job, your addiction is complete. Welcome to the dark side.

Yeah the sellers Dad was there when I bought these two bikes. He told me he had two other bikes some old ones in his garage her wanted to get rid of so I'm checking them out this weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have had two identical woman's bikes to Your CWC. One I stripped as the frame had been re-welded and I put the parts on a mens frame. The other one I also stripped and put on a mens frame but this woman's frame is good, so I am saving it. Two years ago I bought a single speed Schwinn Sanctuary on sale on the net for under $150 delivered. It had the original Schwinn clover leaf chain wheel so I bought that and built up a 1957 Schwinn girls American for my daughter. You can't buy rims, tires, crank, bars, fenders and rack for that kind of money. I used a set of bow tie pedals and a replacement stem. I repainted and put on new decals. I used the original seat, chain guard, fork and grips.
Donor bike
10333657.jpg

IMG_1048.JPG

Finished Schwinn, except for the rear chain guard mount. I would recommend this as you have modern components, easier to get parts for. If you can find a donor for cheap enough it is the most cost effective way to get the parts. I put on a 23 tooth cog as we have a lot of hills, something you can't do with a skip tooth. I would sell the skip tooth stuff or put it on a mens frame, but thats just me. The Sanctuary donor frame is currently at a friends house and he is cutting off the tabs that hold on the chain guard. These will be welded on to his 1953 Schwinn Panther as someone cut the originals off long ago.

The second bike looks like a Hercules, made in England, but looking closer it isn't. The lugs are unique and the bottom bracket (cottered) is different from the English made ones I've seen. The one speed hub may have a date code on the shell. The coaster hub is probably original as that rim matches the front rim and it's an unusual design. A closer look at the chain wheel and head badge area might help ID it. Also the name on the brake arm.

Good luck with the others!

The second bike looks like a Hercules, made in England, but looking closer it isn't. The lugs are unique and the bottom bracket (cottered) is different from the English made ones I've seen. The one speed hub may have a date code on the shell. The coaster hub is probably original as that rim matches the front rim and it's an unusual design. A closer look at the chain wheel and head badge area might help ID it. Also the name on the brake arm.

Good luck with the others!
Here's some pics of hub and brake arm. Nothing else found so far. 20170127_145428 (2).jpg 20170127_132713 (2).jpg

Back