Changing A Crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didnt take long for me to figure out that riding a 20in. bike is a lot of pedaling compared to my old 26in. single speed cruiser. Are most cranks interchangable? I want to take out the crank on my Sears banana bike and replace it with one from a larger cruiser.

I have an old 26 in. English Phillips bike in my junk but the bottom bracket on the Sears is much bigger diameter. What kind of donor bike should i look for to do this?

zbbbb.jpg

A lot of cranks and sprockets are interchangeable. Be careful of the larger throw crank causing your pedals to hit the ground on turns though.

You can use the crank from pretty much any American bike, except Schwinn. Schwinn cranks had different threading, which used different cones, bearings and cups. You can, however, still buy new standard cranks from various manufacturers pretty cheap. Case in point:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Crankarm- ... sim_sbs__1

There are different levels of quality out there, but you ought to be able to find something that meets your needs pretty easily.

The English Stuff is either British Std or Raleigh threading too, not compatible with American BBs, then there are the French and Italians........
You should be able to find something in BMX stuff, I should think.

Latest posts

Back