Cheap & Easy LED Conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody,
Been looking to do an LED conversion to several older headlights
Found some great conversion methods on this website
Bought a cool shaped Delta Hawk from Nickinator a while back for $8 (no lens)
Saw what Mugen did for his conversion on his Chopper
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49784&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
Independently my wife picked up some RuffHewn Mini LED lights online for $2 each

IMG_5120II.jpg

Inside of old light
IMG_5121II.jpg

Installed mini LED in with the reflector spring tension
Light has button on back and because the old light is a clam shell type, have to open to turn on and off
IMG_5122II.jpg

Could make more fancy with some silver paint marker over the black paint...
Might need some duct tape and to secure it a bit more but pretty much done!
For $10 and at 250 grams, didn't seem to look to bad and reasonably functional too
IMG_5123II.jpg

Eventually I'll get more technical for a more robust installation, but maybe a quick idea...
Thanks for looking

Thats a cool looking Headlight shell.
English bike accessories have never looked that good.

I bought one of those LED lights (identical but in Blue) for my Cruiser. I was just going to make a mount and use it as is. It is already a better shape than most other stuff I can get.
Mine was from the PoundShop for £1. It will cost me that to replace the batteries :)

Hey Wilcycle,
Thanks for the comments. I agree that they are pretty decent just out of the package. Glad you found one so amazing cheap too :D . The Ruff Hewn use 6 LED and throw a pretty good amount of like. They say they'll last up to 6 hours. They come with 2 batteries (CR2032 Lithium). Found some online for $.35 each so not too bad. Hopefully you can find something similar across the pond. You're right though, usually the replacement parts are where they make there money.

Cheap & easy....just my kind o' thing! Im going to have to look one of those up.
One of the nice things about this site is the way it has me 'thinking outside the box'.
I was down to our Menards today and my wife drags me over to the lighting section; she has some fancy, pricey, Tiffany knock-off in mind......me, Im thinking something else.......
There on an endcap were dozens of 2 pack '3LED Puck Lights' at .99/pack!!!!! Now they have my attention!
No batteries included, but they take 3 AAAs, so a nominal 4.5V. The LEDs dont care if the batteries are AAA, AA, C, or D, etc., I suspect they will run on 2 or 3 volts on up to about 6VDC and only 3LEDs wont draw much amperage. The light face in the housing is about 1.5" and is fairly easy to pop out. A battery holder from Radio Shack and any kind of housing that will look cool and it should be a not too bad conversion (not as easy as above, though). The light is a small flood, but so are regular driving lamps. It casts pretty good light and if put into a real reflector should be even better.
I also picked up some garden 'mini spot lamps', 2 pack for under $8, solar, 3LED with one 1.2V NiCad. The housing is black plastic with a nice, racey, hooded visor look and a very typical bike type bottom mount. the little solar unit will easily come off the tiny mount at the rear and it might make a nice place for a Radio Shack Micro Switch. These are spotlight reflectors as is, but for bike use the lumens output is way too low except for a safety light in a 'bullet' type housing.
UPDATE: I disconnected the solar panel/sgl cell pack and used the 3 AAA pack from my flashlight, minding the polarity, it seemed better, then a 6v lantern battery; it works, but surprisingly still too dim. Now that just dont seem right..........I cant imagine a voltage regulating circuit in there as that would create heat and there is no heat sink (of course, they were built for the single cell, not what Ive hooked in......

Steve, your simple idea, and the reason for this post is just the cats paws! I forgot to mind KISS!

I'm trying something a little different on my tractor light refurb/conversion. After cleaning up the bowl (I have sprayed it with 'chrome' paint since).
DSCF3289.jpg

I added an H7 headlight bulb (which I bought from eBay for less than $4 for a pair) there's 68 LEDs on this puppy!

18087_1.jpg

DSCF3295.jpg

I'm still in the process, but I've touched the bulb leads to a 9v lithium battery and it's super bright.

I'll build a thread once I get a little further into it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

2 bike headlights from on here, and 2 trips to Harbor freight with a coupon for a FREE 9LED flashlight, with 3 AAA batteries included= 2 nice lights, and cheap. I bore a hole in the back, pointy end of the lights. JB Weldthe lights in, then enlarge the reflector hole to be a tad larger than the LED end. Done, and bright!
I am using one of my LED bore-inspecting lights for my guns, and using it on the rear lights. They sell for about 3 to 5 dollars at the gun shows. Cool beans!
I need to get back to work soon.........

if you cut the hf lights down the side being carefull not to cut the light board pull it out n set it in the reflecter dome with the wires through the old light hole n epoxy or hot glue it in they look clean just remember to use the chrome for in between the leds
l.jpg
2-3.jpg
or rayovac has a pair of flashlights that the lenss are the same size of alot of our tank lights check into these guys
102_0385.jpg
102_0388.jpg
102_0384.jpg
102_0397.jpg
:idea: :idea: :?:

I was just in to our local Ace Hardware; they have a pretty good selection of LED flashlights near the checkout. The ones that caught my eye are on sale for $3, various colored anodized tubes, 9LED and c/w batteries. I think these could be put into a number of housings as exampled above. For that matter, one can be 'rubber banded' or taped on a handlebar quick enough for a get home safe.

Latest posts

Back