* CHINESE VOODOO *

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I was in hi school, my friend Martin had had this beautiful bike. Always wanted to buy it from him, and he always refused...still does...smart guy.:cry:
Years have passed, and he´s still keeping the bike, so I tried to convince him to fix it, and finally I succeeded! :D

These type of bike is highly appreciated around here down south.
So we starting with a Phoenix Chinese men´s bike in pretty good shape, all parts are there, some of them shot, but there. We´ll try some bike voodoo to bring her back to life. :wink:

Before:

Tear down:

Some of the new parts:

Cleaning Handlebars:

This handlebars had some pitting, and some serious rusted areas, but the chrome was still there, hiding below. This is not now a days chinese chrome, this is old good quality chinese chrome, so we can help it shine again :mrgreen:
Over the years I came to notice that the best you can do in these cases where you have pitted chrome like this, is to just use a kitchen sponge, detergent and some good old grease knuckle :D . It wont scratch the chrome at all, you wont be playing with toxic stuff and the result is great.
Picking up some nice white tires today, still have some more dismantling to do, so La Rotosa will have to wait for a little while. :wink:

Thank you all guys for the kind words!
I´m really into this type of bike, yesterday I was studying the welds on the frame, the general construction and detail on it, is just amazing. Pretty strong stuff.

Got the white tires, they look awesome!
I dissembled the hole thing, cleaned old grease and I still have more chrome to shine, thing that I will take care of today.
After that, is removing old paint, applying new, and final assembly.

I´m trying to get the same decals that it has now, but is proving to be very hard. Seems the Phoenix Bicycle of Shanghai website is down, and googleing is not working so far :cry:

Well, La Rotosa got a break, and got to dedicate some time to work on this one.
No more paint... for now

If this would be my bike, I would lay a coat of clear and call it done. I´ll check with my friend, see what he thinks, how he wants it.
My next one will probably be shiny thou :wink:

Wow ! so many cool parts on this bike. The brakes , chainguard the handlebars its going to be fantastic. I'm for black paint with the white fender ends. It would really make the white tires pop.

Thanks for the words guys!

Galt: The chainguard is beautiful, I hope to have enough time to make a mold of it. :wink:

Graylock: I´ll make it interesting then! :D

XC204: I love this type of bike, in my opinion if the bike is well tuned up, there is no better rider. Checked with my friend, and the black paint idea stands, this one is gonna be a classic.

Anon: Hopefully it will!

Got the red primer on her Sunday morning, so now is sanding, painting and assembly.

Small update:

Well, bike is painted and wheels are ready, final assembly is next.
Here are a couple of pics featuring the rear fender before painting a white tail:

Pics are awful cause my cell phone went thru a hole washing machine cycle the other day, one hour under water. Can´t believe it turned on again!
More to come hopefully this week,
Check your pockets before washing anything! :wink: :lol:

your lucky, the way my washer eats socks im sure i woulda never seen the phone again! :mrgreen: years ago, my daughter dropped my phone it the toilet ( water was clean, thankfully!) after it dried out it worked for 6 months before it died.get all your info out of it now incase it dies sooner!

Yes, good advise, I´ll do that asap.
I´ll get the camera down to the garage this afternoon,
in case I get to do something worth shooting :wink:

Well, I finally finished it!!! :D
Not even my friend, the owner has seen it yet, I´m delivering it on Saturday
Took a long, long ride yesterday, and I think is the best bike I ever ridden.

Wanna see the pics?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37155

Back