Chrome must go!! Really!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way, other than sanding or sandblasting, to take chrome off parts? I just want to go down to the bare steel.

Re: Chrome must go!!

Use heavy grit on them.

Hang them outside and spray them everyday with a salt water mix.

I made a bike frame look rustier than theTitanic doing that.

Re: Chrome must go!!

You could do a paint job on them like you see on my seat stem.
After a sanding I sprayed a silver on them( Hammerite silver would help the effect also).
Then I dabbed on some gray primer very lightly.
Then when dry I used an antiquing glaze.
A couple of coats of a gloss clear then a light coat of a matte clear finishes to knock the shine off the job.
Sample:
bentpost.jpg

Take it to a chrome shop and have them do it. They do a reverse process, takes the chrome off instead of putting it on. Beats sanding or grinding.

Dorian

The Hydrogen and Iron Oxide fumes WILL make you sick if you decide to do it in the house.

Been there...

gcrank1 said:
I recently browsed through a couple of U-Tube videos on doing it with a home built de-chroming tank.

Hey gcrank, could you point me a little closer? I looked but couldn't find, except one that was 14 seconds long. Not much info :lol: :lol:

I searched on google and couldn't find much either, looks like muratic acid or some form of electrolysis. The electrolysis I need real info on, the posts would say "then I put the part in the tank for three hours" Great, what was in the tank? How did you hook it up? I dunno, I am leery of trying things like that without good instuctions, I guess it's time to man up and see if I can't blow up the garage!! :lol:

MagicRat, that's a cool process, I think I'll try that and see if it'll work.

Thanks for your help guys.

I use an old computer power source unit.Its a 12v DC output.

Hook up the parts in water with a sprinkle of BORAX and watch the magic begin.

I use alligator clips (DONT let them drop in the drink.Ruin them)

NEG.Black Wire on the part you want to de-rust

POS.Red wire on a sacrificial piece of steel (I use a big nail)

Set them close together BUT DONT LET THEM TOUCH!.

They say nothing on the web is ever really gone, so I figured the dechroming electrolisis process was going to be somewhat easy to find again; no note made of the site other than U-T.
I do remember that it specified using those heavy duty plastic storage tubs, big enough for the project at hand, and maybe 3/4 full of solution, from 'the big store' as the dechrome tank and, it looked like, maybe a rinse tank.
The power from a 12V car battery hooked to a battery charger so the power really would be regulated at no more than battery voltage, yet stay up, would work fine. Even a motorcycle or garden tractor 12V would do the same.
BTW, I would think that the parts would be best washed up clean and degreased, and maybe even most of the rust cleaned off, to keep from contaminating the solution, but since I have not done it I might be thinking too much again.

Latest posts

Back