chrome removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a set of rims with really rusted out chrome(pitting and flaking). The chrome is not salvageable as I can remove much of it with my fingernail. I've been trying to grind it off with my wire wheel to no avail. The bad spots come off easy but some of it is really stubborn. Small patches here and there that flake the tiniest bit around the edges but still remain. What can I do? I would like to paint them.

I know plating shops have some kind of acid bath that only removes the chrome. I don't know what kind of acid of what the dilutation rate is. Might try to google it and see if it even possible to do at home. If it is possible, SAFETY-SAFETY-SAFETY! Gloves, face shield, apron, yadda-yadda-yadda.

If you want to paint them, try the wire wheel on a drill, sand as much as possible. After all that, whats left of the chrome should be sanded enough to prime and paint.
Here are my chromed rims painted. Sanded the shiny off the dull rusted chrome and then shot the rattle can red.
S5003286.jpg

Latest posts

Back