( Class 1 - MBBO#4) TorRed (68 Typhoon) - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a few days working to get the neck break loose from the forks... a dirty, oily mess. Penetrating fluid just not wanting to work yet... I might have to straighten the forks without removing them.

Building... riding...

I had an old Columbia fork like that. I put a 20" bmx wheel on the fork and turned the fork backwards and ran the bike into a brick wall a couple of times. Amazingly enough it worked. That wasn't a steel blade Schwinn fork though...
Straight up gangsta style.

I had an old Columbia fork like that. I put a 20" bmx wheel on the fork and turned the fork backwards and ran the bike into a brick wall a couple of times. Amazingly enough it worked. That wasn't a steel blade Schwinn fork though...
I have straightened a fork that way once with success, another time, didn't work out well...

Building... riding...

Got fire? Get the stem glowing then let it cool, should bust the rust.

Carl.
Thanks Carl, good idea. I will give that a try this weekend. Fingers will be crossed.

Had events going on last weekend with the wife, so no progress has been made since last report

Building... riding...

I got a little movement in the neck tonight. No movement in the bolt though. Another day soaking in super liquid wrench and I think its gonna finally break loose.

It will be good to finally get this bike rolling again.

Building... riding...

Get the biggest pipe wrench you have and give it a twist. If you can get that stem spinning around it'll come out... good luck. I just pulled a seat post over a foot long with only 3 inches showing that was rusted in place. After all the fire and lube, the twist from the pipe wrench finally broke it loose...

Carl.

Thanks for all the advice, a little heat and penetrating oil in between, and I got it out without scorching it or the paint.

Gonna have to wash the oil off the fenders. That burnt off powder coating is starting to show a little color. :)

They should be a nice color by the time its finished.

Trying to figure out how to bearing pivot this neck, for the front banana mount.

Building... riding...

Chad has a good idea on putting a piece of tube in the stem. Or you could use bushings like on a mountain bike swing arm.
If you want them stem bent further back so it just fits under the seat pan flange,I'm thinking heat will do the trick there too. Heat up the stem tube where it fits in the seat tube,put a long tube or bar where the handlebars would go,then put it in a seat tube and bend it to the position you want. You might want to use a different frame to do that though.

I was sitting here looking at the bikes I'm working and am thinking rather than putting the blade fork on the bike, putting this big tubed monster fork.

Building... riding...
Well, that's radical, I will give you that! Depends on if you want a ratty more traditional build or go for the modified rat-isfaction that monster fork would give you. Also, I believe that might put you into Class 2....@LukeTheJoker what say you?

Well, that's radical, I will give you that! Depends on if you want a ratty more traditional build or go for the modified rat-isfaction that monster fork would give you. Also, I believe that might put you into Class 2....@LukeTheJoker what say you?
I wouldn't think just a fork would push it to class 2.

I think that fork stretches that frame out. Not sure I wanna go that tall... So not sure I'm gonna use it.

Building... riding...

I like it better than I thought I would.

Was thinking of going with the narrow chrome bars, but they are too shiny. That back wheel(S7) is looking like I need to replace it with something I can put a wider tire on it.

Funny how angle of photo shows more red... and reflects more sunrise color...

Building... riding...

Latest posts

Back