Classic British city bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a snap of my Dawes Aristocrat. A classic sit up and beg style bike from the 80s (I think). The LBS that origianally sold it is in town so I'm going to find out a bit more info. I picked the bike up on Freecycle from a lady who'd bought it for her husband, he didn't take to cycling, so it sat in their shed up side down for years.

Planning on customizing it soon. Something along the lines of Sir Loin of Beef in the RRBBP comp.
3604061855_5b0e3f62eb_b.jpg

I'm flattered. Looks like a well made bike. Is it really British? Are those aluminum bars?

ej599 said:
Looks like a well made bike. Is it really British?

:lol: Do the British not build well made bikes? :wink:

The frame is really well put together. It has a sticker which reads "Dawes handbuild". So it's had some care spent on it I guess.
The handbars are aluminium. How you spotted that from one photo. :eek: Are aluminium handlebars common? I don't think I've ever seen tham on a bike before.

But yeah I really like the look of Sir Lion

druggedonions said:
ej599 said:
Looks like a well made bike. Is it really British?

:lol: Do the British not build well made bikes? :wink:

Absolutely! They built them as serious transportation vehicles. Did a little research this morning and found this interesting bit of photos with all kinds of British bikes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75395133@N00/

Sheldon Brown also has some good info.

Here's a couple of my British bikes:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15168

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9708

I know a little bit about aluminum. I'm a metal fabricator and the last project I completed in work was a custom made lightweight removable stair case made from aluminum. Did you see the tool box I made for S.L.O.B.? Those wheels on your bike look aluminum too. Now I want a Dawes!

Wow, that Humber cross frame looks radical. :eek: I can't think of any other word.

And the Raleigh worked out really nice didn't it. Thanks for the links.

The Dawes were and still are popular on this side of the pond. You see quite a few turn up on ebay. The freight would be prohibative though. :(
It would be cool if you found one. I don't know if they were ever sold in the States.

The rims on mine are chromed steel, there's quite a few bits of rust showing through and the front has been run up a curb pretty hard and is slightly buckled. They've got a cross hatch on the wall of the rim, which might explain the matte look. I can try and get a good macro shot.

Cheers Jonnie

Back