Classic Krate Fork vs. China Made

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is my observation correct? I've seen a few of the circa 2007 Made in China Schwinn Krates and they all seem to sit too low in the front. It looks like they use a 20" fork with the 16" wheel. Didn't the classic Krates of the 60's/70's use a 24" fork to compensate for the smaller front tire?

And all these years I thought mine had a 26" fork! And no wonder all I built since were wheelie poppers.......

My son has a '99 repro Apple frame built up with vintage and Chinese Krate parts. Came out nice but could use a little more height up front.

the black friday walmart stingrays had 20" springers with 16" wheels, the ealirer repops had 24" springers though.

That ones had parts swapped around, If it was an 1999 Apple krate, it looks like the seat/fork has been swapped out on the one in your pic. and missing fenders

Heres what it should look like from schwinn

ak1.JPG

Oh absolutely. Not going for all original. Just a rider for the little fella. The chainguard was off a yellow Fair Lady, stripped then two coats of duplicolor.

thrdrl said:
Oh absolutely. Not going for all original. Just a rider for the little fella. The chainguard was off a yellow Fair Lady, stripped then two coats of duplicolor.

My mistake, I thought you were going to look at one to buy and something had looked out of place. Looks like a nice job on the chainguard, those suspension sissy bars really help them ride a lot nicer too 8)

thrdrl said:
That's one sharp ride you've got there.

Unfortunately I parted all of my repops, borrowed the pic off the web. Had a real 68 Apple Krate, a repop lemon peeler and 2 repop grey ghosts. No I'm just down to a run of 3/4 project stingrays to build with my son and a bicentennial I keep around for myself.

As we know all the Walmart bikes got the 20" fork with 16" wheel, but didn't all the other "Krates" get the 24" fork? meaning, all the ones that were sold by bike shops? Even 2007s if it was a bike shop bike?

petesponies said:
As we know all the Walmart bikes got the 20" fork with 16" wheel, but didn't all the other "Krates" get the 24" fork? meaning, all the ones that were sold by bike shops? Even 2007s if it was a bike shop bike?

Yup

Back