Cleaning Scrambler Mags

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this has been covered but I though I would share a few pictures. First off, I had a rough Schwinn Scrambler that needed some attention. So I decided to use wood bleach / oxicallic acid ( for the first time) and it worked great at dissolving the rust and grime. It was working so nice that I just dipped the whole bike without breaking it down. The OA was safe on the paint and even the grips and tires. However it did start to eat away at the cheaper plated pedals. Here's some before shots...

003-5.jpg

004-5.jpg

I mixed up a solution of roughly 1 TBS of OA to 3 gallons of hot water. The pH was around 2~3... Using this weak mix I could leave the bike soaking for up to 20 hours.

As great as the OA worked on the chrome, it did nothing for the stained Mags. So I tried soaking the Mags in Oxy-Clean...I tried Degreaser...I tried scrubbing with hot soapy water all with no success. I found I could clean them with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool but it would take for ever.

001-6.jpg

I decided to try oven cleaner but it did nothing either... So I finally broke down and bought some cheap bleach. I mixed up a solution using half gallon of bleach to 5 gallons of water and soaked the Mags overnight. I had to grease the chrome hubs to prevent further corrosion but I think they turned out great

007-5.jpg

Here some after shots...

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

I still need to re dye the Mags but I might wait, they look great in the pictures but turn a pale yellow when dry.

Latest posts

Back