cleaning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm new and introduced myself earlier. I just bought a couple Stingrays. They are both originals and they're his n hers. I'm starting the cleaning process and would like some advice on what to use. The chrome is great and also the paint; I just don't wanna mess them up. What would you use to get light rust off the chrome and polish it and what to use for the paint. Thanx, I appreciate any and all answers. :)

As far as cleaning everything up, start with a good washing. For the paint I use a good atuomotive polish. To remove light pitting some 0000 steelwool with your choice of a good metal polish. I was a big fan of Braso but found Bar Keeper's Friend last week and was very impressed with the results. It's a powder you mix with water so you can make it as pastey as you prefer. Nuts and bolts I usally sand and rattle can. For the best results it is earier for me to work with a dismantled bike. No polish left in tight areas and can get to everything easily.

Be really careful around the lettering. That chainguard silkscreening and top tube lettering will come off if you lean too hard on it or use chemicals. :roll: Gary

Back