cleaning

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just registered last nite, introduced myself this evening and now I have a question. I ask in the how to section but I'm not sure. I just bought a couple stingrays and they're originals. They're a 76 and a 77. His n hers. I'm starting tthe cleaning process and would like to know what you guys use. Lite rust on the chrome and what to use to clean the paint good. Thanx for any info. I 'preciate it.
Eddy (User name from the love of Mustangs) :)

Welcome to the site! I'm starting my first resto, and I'll tell you that at the top of the How To section there is an Index guide that has been very helpful to me. Hopefully it will be for you as well!

Good luck!

Do NOT scrub the chain guard decals or they will disappear! Other than that chrome can be cleaned with vinegar, oxalic acid (wood bleach), or CLR. For cleaning painted surfaces just a mild degreaser then soap and water and be careful around the decals unless you plan to replace them.

i always use the Blue soap SOS wool with water , just have to go lightly over the paint and even more over stickers, but it clean very well , the rust parts will become polish metal and almost match the chrome, just need to clear coat after

Thanx guys. I will try all of these. I cleaned the back fender with water and "0000" steel wool and it looks brand new. I'm gonna try that cleaning wheel you use on the drill from Mothers on the wheels and spokes. Thanx again and I'll post pix soon.
Eddy

A trick I learned from an old Hot Rodder: a loosely balled up wad of aluminum foil will take off light surface rust on chrome surfaces without leaving any noticeable scratches or pitting.

There's always a roll in my shop now :D

Latest posts

Back