Clear coat to preserve original paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have an old coppertone Schwinn that I would like to keep shiny looking. I wonder if a couple coats of clear coat will do the trick, or will the shine dull under the clear? Anyone tried it on their bikes?

Clean and spiff it well, then a good quality wax like the show car guys use. I did this with a 1973 MotoGuzzi Eldorado for 30+ yrs. and it looked pretty fine when I sold it a couple years ago.

I have done it to help hide touch ups. just make sure the first couple coats are extremely light and give em good time to dry, then wet it out..

I did that to preserve the very-nice paint on a Roadmaster. I cleaned it, wet sanded it with 1600 grit, cleaned it, then sprayed it. The trouble is that the clear I used seems to be somewhat fragile. It seems like I have to be careful putting the bike on the roof rack or rear carrier, because the clear scratches easy. So, I guess the moral is that you should make sure you use a good quality paint if you do...

My worthless opinion...

Polish the BARE frame (headbadge removed too) With Mothers automotive polish...Go WAY EASY over the Decals!

Then Mothers WAX...Paste or Liquid.

Nicks and Scatches are History to the Bike.Every One has a Story.

Most of them will dissapear once the frame is SHINEY!

Gotta clean/de-grease that frame real good if you want to do that.And I do mean GREASE FREE.

DONT Clear Coat It.

Latest posts

Back