Clear lacquer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint in general has a hard time sticking to a slick surface like chrome for very long.

Brass brush and steel wool off the rust, then wax every few months. Been doing that with all my old stuff for years without any problems or rust popping back up. Is it a real fix? No. But unless you want to strip, clean, and re-chrome. It's the cheapest, easiest option.

I'm going to go with the penetrol I've used a plenty of it while brushing oil based house paint.I never thought about it as a rust inhibitor but there are several articles on the web about it and preserving the patina of the rust.Thanks for the tip us56456712 !

...I clear coated my entire winter bike last summer and everything rusted through the clear coat this winter....

"Clear coating" is a relatively recent fad. Unfortunately, it is a clear case of the "triumph of hope over experience". The sordid truth = it is useless at best, and detrimental more often than not. :(

Back