Clearcoat over patina

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm sure this has been covered before but I could find the right thread......

How do I prep a weathered & lightly rusted frame for clearcoating? I want to keep the worn paint, stripes and the light rust thats there. What cleaners, techniques would I use to get it ready for clear? And would it be better to use a satin clear as opposed to a gloss so I don't make it look too "new"?

in my experience, prep for clear is just like it is for other paints - you need a clean, suitably roughed-up surface for it to stick properly. That can be tough to get from a rusted frame with worn paint, and still keep those atributes.

You can scuff sand the paint, at the risk of making it even more worn looking, but if you do that with the rust and you'll take it off. OTOH, it probably is already rough enough, but then the trick is getting it clean enough to have the paint stick well. I guess I'd try prep sanding the painted areas carefully, and try to clean the surface rust as well as possible with laquer thinner or rubbing alcohol, and give it a go...

I followed the directions someone posted on the forum. Wash the frame with soap and water and rinse it good. Make sure it is good and dry and then clear it. It turns a nice brown color. Here's my Rocket frame I did.
You gonna come and get that Conti? Gary
DSC03578.jpg

That was my original thought. Use dawn dish soap with a mild scrubber sponge and clear it after. Did you use a gloss, satin or flat clear? Can you post some close up shots?

I just reminded my brother about it. he's coming over Saturday morning to help me move so he'll get it before then.

B607 said:
I followed the directions someone posted on the forum. Wash the frame with soap and water and rinse it good. Make sure it is good and dry and then clear it. It turns a nice brown color. Here's my Rocket frame I did.
You gonna come and get that Conti? Gary
DSC03578.jpg

Here's what it looked like when I found it. Found it in a ravine behind an abandoned farm house and hauled it home. Not sure why as I have all Schwinns.
IMG_1196-1.jpg

I used Krylon satin clear. Used Krylon just because I had a can laying around.
DSC03542.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

One more. Gary
DSC03538.jpg

Hears what a friend of mine did to his truck,wash the whole thing real good and dry it off good he waited a day or so before doing this. CLR a green scotch bright and warm water think he did it out in the sunlight,that's been 4 or five years and it still looks the same.He said just go by the directions on the back of the can, buy it at Wall-Mart in pluming supply.

Back