Clearing over vinegar patina?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the deal... I stripped my frame down, sanded everything down, and now I'm working on applying a faux patina with Vinegar. The Vinegar works great and it looks awesome!! I haven't messed with it too much yet like scratching, wiping, sanding to see how well it's adhered.. but it seems like it's a bit sensitive.

What I'm interested in is if anyone has any experience clearing over a vinegar rust like this? My plan is to use a matte clear over the top but I'm worried about it not sticking!

Advice/tips/tricks....

Can we see some pics?
Are you referring to the 'acid black' finish that remains after a vinegar bath? I've rubbed the bulk of it off in the past to get to the nice 'black-gray metal' that remains. Yes, I've clear coated parts after they've dried, granted I've only done 'smalls' (like bolts, seat post clamps,etc...), not the entire frame.

Sounds cool though, let's see what ya got.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I don't have any pictures right now but I"ll try and post some up later! It's actually a brown "flash" rust.. I used a spray bottle and sprayed vinegar on the bare totally clean metal. Spray then let it sit overnight, I've done three coats so far and it's looking pretty cool, almost looks like it's bronze!

I'm trying to upload from my phone so we'll see if it works...
c6e4e106-f93a-9e4a.jpg

c6e4e106-f976-6d99.jpg

I'm starting with the fork as a test.

I've never tried vinegar...(only salt water washes) for patina.

After I got the correct effect I hosed it down with clean water and let it air dry.

I had no problems with matte/flat or reflective clear spray bombs sticking to the rust...uh patina.

Latest posts

Back