Closed dropouts on my old fork- how do you deal with these?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an 28" wheel Elgin Motorbike frame/truss fork (I think)
The fork doesn't have dropouts for the axle, just holes for the axle.
I'm guessing either the axle was supposed to be installed with the wheel
in place, or there is some sort of hefty spreader tool for the front forks.

Fork spacing is 3.7" and will easily spread to 4", beyond that I don't
know.

I want to put a Sturmey Archer drum brake hub in for the front wheel.

How do I deal with this kind of fork?

I know I could get the Dremel out and cut dropouts into the fork, or
I could cut a dropout into just one side and possibly elongate the hole on the other
side. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me to reinforce the fork ends if I do this.

Suggestion?

Thanks
Bill

My Elgin King has a fork like that. I just put one end of the axle through the hole and then spread the fork to get the other side in place. I also know of guys who thread the axle back almost flush on one side and then screw it back through the hole in the fork and adjust it evenly.

Thanks for the tips.

I tried fitting an old wheel into the fork without
any adjustments to the axle, and it wasn't
happening.

Looks like the first order of business would be to
shorten the axle length to something more
appropriate to the fork (it could lose at least 3/8")
and try again.

I think kevlar reinforced tires will be a good idea
to cut down on wheel removals :roll:

Bill

I had one of those and I turned the holes into slots with my Dremel and an aluminum oxide cutoff wheel. I wouldn't do it to a bike I wanted to keep absolutely original, but for one you are fixing up for a rider I wouldn't hesitate. Gary

If you dremel it out, only one side is needed. That's how my Schwinn springer is, one side closed off.

FWIW, if you do make slots you might consider using the special washers that have the flange that fits a bit of an oversize hole (for the axle proper) and the slot only axle width. That way, once all is in and tightened down the wheel wont drop until you loosen the nut well off an pull the washer out a ways. It really seems to make a simple and secure mounting.

Latest posts

Back