Coaster Brake Challenge #15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that guy we've seen him before and he fits the stereotype of a horse person: a .....
Paul,
Hope I don't fit the stereotype ! Ha Ha.
12193674_404415306424741_8400879337887478826_n.jpg

IDK how things go on the trails out in Cali, but here in Wi most people I meet are pretty friendly.
I see more ATV's than anything and we promptly pull to the side and they pass slowly, usually with a wave. After all, we are all sharing the trail and out for fun. Are you gonna make shirts for your Klunker Ride ? you really make some great posters!

Great looking group racing fun! In Utah-ha-ha, Horses have right-of-way,(Horse Farmer!) hikers next, bikes after that, and moto has to get out of the way of all others, unless on BLM land where you better bail quickly when you hear em comin! Were 3-speeds w/coasters allowed?

Paul,
Hope I don't fit the stereotype ! Ha Ha.
12193674_404415306424741_8400879337887478826_n.jpg

IDK how things go on the trails out in Cali, but here in Wi most people I meet are pretty friendly.
I see more ATV's than anything and we promptly pull to the side and they pass slowly, usually with a wave. After all, we are all sharing the trail and out for fun. Are you gonna make shirts for your Klunker Ride ? you really make some great posters!

Well is so cal and people come from all over the land to "make it" here and because LA is like a beast that lives on crushed hopes and dreams, they are typically dicks or become them once their dreams get dashed upon the rocks of reality. Most of my friends were born here funny as that seems not by design mind you but the difference between locals and transplants is perceptible. I try to be nice, I do, but entitlement does ride very high I've even had other bikers tell us coaster slobs to slow down :) No shirts planned this time, just some buttons. I plan on making shirts for the SCSSC coming up in August. I drew all my flyers for 2016 in dec 2015 so I could get some free time for the slew of non-bicycle projects I'm working on....

Great looking group racing fun! In Utah-ha-ha, Horses have right-of-way,(Horse Farmer!) hikers next, bikes after that, and moto has to get out of the way of all others, unless on BLM land where you better bail quickly when you hear em comin! Were 3-speeds w/coasters allowed?

Our right of way is a courtesy thing here not rule of law. No 2 or 3 speeds, the rules are as follows:

Rules for bikes:

Gearing:

Single speed only. No internal geared hubs (sturmey-archer, bendix two speed kick backs etc.) no derailleur of any kind (A chain tensioner is fine). No external gearing. No gears. No fixed gear. Each race will be different from the last and you may want a different gear ratio for each race and you can have any gear ratio you wish. We have found that 30-36 in the front and 18-22 in the back is the range best suited for this event, see what works best for you.

Drive system:

The rear hub must be a coaster brake. Single speed coaster brake only. No two-speed kick backs, etc (I know what they look like) Some coaster brakes are better than others, do your homework and get a good one. See below for more info. Cranks of any kind may be used as well as pedals.

Braking system:

Coaster brake only on the rear wheel only. No hand brakes of any kind. No secondary braking system of any kind. No drum brakes, no cables, rods, levers, etc of any kind. You pedal forward to go forward and back to stop. Nothing else.

Frame:

Preference for old double bar cruisers but there are no frame restrictions. We have found that cruiser frames and lower end frames with a horizontal dropouts work the best. Frames with a rigid/vertical dropout are difficult to get proper chain tension. We recommend the following types of bikes:

Single speed mountain bikes

Pros: take new bike goodies well, light.

Cons: Can be costly, hub spacing is 135mm and coaster brakes are 110mm. You can make a 110mm coaster into a 135mm ish hub with a longer axle and some spacers. It will take some work to get the wheel to fit well. Can be done with an axel swap and spacers.

Cruisers

Pros: Cheap and look cool too! Already have to correct spacing for a coaster brake.

Cons: Don't take mountain bikes goodies like threadless forks etc. Most have 1 piece cranks. Heavy.

Any 26" bike that has a horizontal drop out.

Pros: Older Mountain bikes are cheap and plentiful and easily adapt to our purpose.

Cons: None really, an ideal choice for this event.

Forks:

Any.

Wheels/tires:

You can have any kind of hoop/tire combo. I suggest a light wheelset that you've laced a coaster brake into. Something rugged is good, I've done each race with cheap alloy cruiser rims, they have held up fine thus far.

Handlebars etc.

Everything else is left up to the individual rider.

Well is so cal and people come from all over the land to "make it" here and because LA is like a beast that lives on crushed hopes and dreams, they are typically dicks or become them once their dreams get dashed upon the rocks of reality. Most of my friends were born here funny as that seems not by design mind you but the difference between locals and transplants is perceptible. I try to be nice, I do, but entitlement does ride very high I've even had other bikers tell us coaster slobs to slow down :) No shirts planned this time, just some buttons. I plan on making shirts for the SCSSC coming up in August. I drew all my flyers for 2016 in dec 2015 so I could get some free time for the slew of non-bicycle projects I'm working on....
screen-shot-2014-01-15-at-9-27-51-am.png

"Hey you KIDS on the coaster brake bikes, SLOW DOWN !" :rofl:
Paul, We have TWH horses and when our horses get into the running walk they actually get smoother to ride - we get the same thing from people riding non gated horses at walking speeds.
"I hate it when some people are in such a hurry", "Slow down" We are careful not to rush up on anyone and tell them we are gonna pass (where the trail is wide enough) but hey some folks just don't get it.
I think the CB challenge looks like a hoot, especially on the 16" kids bikes ! :thumbsup:

Great looking event. This kind of race reminds everyone why we all love to ride. Mixing it up with friends and having fun is a very meaningful deal.

I'll keep saying it, I wish we had something like that here in CT.

You inspired me to build a coaster brake cross bike. I'm hoping to be the only coaster brake in my next SS cross race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll keep saying it too, you can take my idea and use it, make your own fun, it is the only way it will happen.

I always give horses the right-of-way. It's not just courtesy. There's no telling exactly what a spooked nag with a mediocre rider is going to do. :crazy:

I always give horses the right-of-way. It's not just courtesy. There's no telling exactly what a spooked nag with a mediocre rider is going to do. :crazy:
Because we ride our horses on trails, I can tell you we appreciate the courtesy. :)
Consider horses can be unpredictable, and that sometimes an experienced rider may be training a young horse, and indeed there are mediocre riders out there. :emo:

Latest posts

Back