Coaster brake issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not really sure about the terminology of this so that may be why I cant find anything on a search but I have a issue. The rear coaster brake gear just spins forward and backwards and wont turn the wheel. I tore the hub down an ddidnt see anything wrong so I cleaned it a little and put some new grease in the hub and still the same problem. I cant read through the rust but the front hub is a schwinn and it is on a schwinn and the hub has a grease spout if that helps any.

One cool thing about hubs is if you dont want to mess with parts ...then find a good hub like the one you have and swap the whole inside into your hub. Old Schwinn with a spout...sounds like a new departure and if so they are pretty common. Look on the brake arm and it will tell you what kind it is.

Sounds like the tab on the transfer spring has broken off. It fits in the notch in the clutch. If you can confirm that is the problem, let me know and I can send you a replacement.

new departures are a little trickier than your conventional or newer coaster brake hubs. had a similar grinding sound from the one on my JCH, so since i was gonna put on different wheels for my wifes project bike, i took her same type rear wheel and just swapped them out. and yes, if you can find a same hub, you can get awy with just swapping out the insides. and i will +1 the defective or broken spring clip theory. or a similar defective part. good luck.

Back