Coaster Brake skweeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes I took it apart at repacked everything with lots of grease,,,and while i was at it i i took apart 4 more and did the same thing...

Hard to say without knowing what brand of coasterbrake it is, they are all just a little different, and different things cause them to malfunction.

If your hub has an oil port, I reccomend putting a fair amount of clean SAE30 motor oil in the port. I have a hand pump oil can which I use to give the hub several good shots of oil, then keeping the port facing upwards at all times, flip the bicycle upside down and alternate driving/braking it to spread the oil around inside the hub. If you oil a coaster brake and then let it sit, the oil will run out the side and down the spokes or will drip out the oil port as it's not spread evenly inside the hub. I keep the wheel positioned so that the oil port is up untill I've ridden it a good bit. This should kill the squeak. :D I thoroughly clean all the internal mechanical componeents of a coaster brake in clean gas before lubrication.

banana seat Brian said:
I would stay away from this grease for coaster brakes, they give you absolutely no information about the temperature which it will be stable at.
Many people also say that many bicycle specific grease are just other grease rebranded.
For coaster brakes, get marine grease which has a dropping point of 590 degrees F, they have if at Home Depot for $3.69.
You could also opt for "disk brake grease" (for cars), the dropping point for this is like 520 degrees F.

Unchained said:
If your hub has an oil port, I reccomend putting a fair amount of clean SAE30 motor oil in the port. I have a hand pump oil can which I use to give the hub several good shots of oil, then keeping the port facing upwards at all times, flip the bicycle upside down and alternate driving/braking it to spread the oil around inside the hub. If you oil a coaster brake and then let it sit, the oil will run out the side and down the spokes or will drip out the oil port as it's not spread evenly inside the hub. I keep the wheel positioned so that the oil port is up untill I've ridden it a good bit. This should kill the squeak. :D I thoroughly clean all the internal mechanical componeents of a coaster brake in clean gas before lubrication.
I would stay even farther away from oil, they may have oil ports, but they need grease.
Furthermore, coaster brakes need high temperature gease, since they can really get hot.

Latest posts

Back