Coaster Hub: Slippage / Slack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone can help ?

I recently bought a used modern cruiser as a "project bike". The bike has a Shimano Nexus 3 speed Coaster Hub. The gears work fine and the brake seems effective enough. Of concern, however, is that when the bike is at standstill when I go to pedal the crank slips about 1/8th of a trurn before the rear wheel turns. Likewise with the brake fully applied if I push down further on the pedal the crank also slips.

The crank retainer pin is in contact with the chainweel so I am thinking (rightly or wrongly) that the slippage is occuring somewhere in the rear cog / hub area rahter than at the crank end. While the bike is quite rideable it just doesn't seem right and I don't want to cause any damage. I figured I want to get this issue resolved before I strip the frame down for painting.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject ? Thanks.

OK thanks for your comments. just for clarity, the crank movement is not before the brake bites but afterwards and similarly it slips a after the cog starts turning when cycling forwards.

I have to say, having had another look I think I will refit the crank first, I am now not entirely sure that the problem may be at this end afterall! I reckon refitting the crank would be a good starting point!

Back