Cold-bending back forks--cutting/breaking welds???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think too much... There, I said it :) This is supposed to be a current project. The weather is too cold for painting so I've just been sitting around looking at this bike, mocking-up ideas in Photoshop, and surfing the internet for product info and techniques.

So far the only actual "Doing it" that has taken place has been in the form of cutting out some tank templates and switching out some seats. I could be doing a lot more: recovering the seat, cutting/building the tank, tearing down and cleaning all the parts.

I'm making this statement for my own benefit -- I just needed to hear it "out-loud".

Aside from being immersed in a quagmire of my own creation, here is where I am in my planning stages:

It would be kool to lower this just a bit while retaining a good part of the "stock" integrity. It occurs to me that the old Tornados and other straightbars have an advantage in this regard.

What if I simply bent the back forks (close to where the kickstand is attatched)....
ry%3D400

...After "releasing" these welds that join the stays and that top-junction area (I'm not sure what that's called). The whole back assembly could just tilt up and forward and the stays re-welded into the new position.
ry%3D400

I figure i may need to construct some sort of special jig to keep things square. Such a jig might feature a clamp at the point of the bend, this could be fashioned out of a hard wood block with a round or bull-nose edge (as to not crimp the tubes.

Am I on target at all with this? I've never done anything like this before. Would cold-bending be suitable for this or should the area be heated with a torch? See, i told you i think too much :wink:

Sounds like you want to cut the seat stays loose from the seat tube and bend the rear triangle forward where the chainstays connect to the bottom bracket(crank hanger) shell. Then reconnect the seat stays to the seat tube.
This has been documented in a number of build threads. I think rusty513 did it to a Monark recently, you could do a search.
As far as bending the chainstays it would be easier if you heated them, but I have cold bent lots of stuff without any problems.

Don't worry you are not the only one who sits and stares at stuff :lol:

That's a sharp trick E! I may give that a try later. I've directed some folks around here to the "flip thread" as well.

It sounds like Rusty was after the same look that I'm trying for -- examining the photos of that Monark, I wasn't sure it had been lowered at all as the overall profile still retains the same basic lines. This is basically what I have in mind for mine... for now, anyways!

Back