Collector's Items (SCRAP collectors....)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this one tonite from a scrap collector (trash night in my 'hood). Price was right (free).
IMG_0222.jpg

Wheels are 24 x 1 3/8, Bendix 70 coaster,Sears grips, comfy seat
IMG_0223.jpg

This is the only marking besides the BMA tag on the seat tube. Head sticker is gone, but going by the sprocket & chainguard, I bet it was built by Murray.
IMG_0224.jpg

I'm thinking there was a kids' seat here, or one strange & overbuilt rear carrier.
This guy told me, in a Borat-esqe accent, that next time he finds a 'nice' bike, he'll bring it by--I told him, nice bikes are o.k., but make sure to bring me the 'bad' ones. Like most of us here, I'd much rather have a rusty vintage bike than a shiny Wallyworld special.
A couple weeks back, I snagged another bike from a scrapper. He said I could choose one bike in exchange for maybe a few bucks in copper & aluminum I had set aside for just such a barter. There was a WalGoose BMX w/a lousy spray bomb job, a BTS Magna girls mtn. bike & a Sienna Brown '76 Varsity. Which one would you have chosen?
IMG_9779.jpg

It's all there, save for the headbadge & plastic 'S' plug on the deraileur, which appear to have been recently harvested. I'm guessing another enthusiast saw it on the curb & didn't want to drag the whole carcass home.
Not sure what I'll do with either of these, but the Varsity is already dismantled for cleaning. I used to hate the skinny tired bikes, years back, I had accumulated a couple Varsitys (including a brown one) & a Continental, I was glad to be rid of them, but I've come to appreciate them, if not the drop bar riding position & those awful seats.

Back