COLOR-FLOW CLEAN UP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A couple of weeks ago I scored this JC Higgins Colorflow at a local estate sale. It had been in the original owner's attic for a long time and he recently passed away. He delivered papers back in the late 40s to earn the money for the bike and then continued his route with the new bike. He also apparently had a thing for accessories. :)

IMG_8512.JPG

When I got the bike home I realized that the fork was bent. At first I thought I might just leave the whole thing as is and not even wash it. I got bored today and decided I'd go ahead and detail it out. :crazy2:

Pulled the fork and it turned out to be really messed up. I also made the mistake of trying to straighten it myself and wound up squaring off the steer tube. :mad: Fortunately Clyde James of Clyde James Custom Bikes in Haltom City is going to remove the bent section and weld on a new straight tube from a donor fork.

jc013.jpg

Initially I was just wanting to give the bike a quick bath and maybe a light polish while the bike was fully assembled, but as I went along I started pulling parts off and decided I was going to go all the way. I took this shot after the quick bath and polish. I also used some Bleach White on these rock hard All State tires. They inflated okay, but there's no way they could be ridden on. Unfortunately the rear tube has a leak. Not sure how I'm going to get that tire off without messing it up.

jc008.jpg

Stripped all of the accessories off of the bike...
jc011.jpg

The seat really cleaned up nice with just a quick scrub...

jc009.jpg

jc010.jpg

Thankfully there were no old corroded batteries in here to mess up the horn.

jc014.jpg

The paint on the tank looks nice after some rubbing compound...

jc012.jpg

So the further along I got, the more I realized that I need to do a proper tear down and deep detailing on this fine creation. I'm going to throw as much magic Texas water as I can at the bike and try to document it all here. Getting that steer tube fixed will be the biggest hurdle and I won't be able to feel relaxed about this bike until that is resolved.

Stay tuned for more bejeweled adventures. :wink1:

Will that red reflective tape come off without wrecking the paint underneath? doesn't look like the paint faded much.

Going to try using a hair dryer first to see what comes of it.
I'm not sure that a hair dryer with get it hot enough (but it's worth a try). If you can get an actual heat gun it will probably do the trick. Good luck with the fork.

A couple of weeks ago I scored this JC Higgins Colorflow at a local estate sale. It had been in the original owner's attic for a long time and he recently passed away. He delivered papers back in the late 40s to earn the money for the bike and then continued his route with the new bike. He also apparently had a thing for accessories. :)

View attachment 21417

When I got the bike home I realized that the fork was bent. At first I thought I might just leave the whole thing as is and not even wash it. I got bored today and decided I'd go ahead and detail it out. :crazy2:

Pulled the fork and it turned out to be really messed up. I also made the mistake of trying to straighten it myself and wound up squaring off the steer tube. :mad: Fortunately Clyde James of Clyde James Custom Bikes in Haltom City is going to remove the bent section and weld on a new straight tube from a donor fork.

View attachment 21418

Initially I was just wanting to give the bike a quick bath and maybe a light polish while the bike was fully assembled, but as I went along I started pulling parts off and decided I was going to go all the way. I took this shot after the quick bath and polish. I also used some Bleach White on these rock hard All State tires. They inflated okay, but there's no way they could be ridden on. Unfortunately the rear tube has a leak. Not sure how I'm going to get that tire off without messing it up.

View attachment 21419

View attachment 21420

View attachment 21421
View attachment 21422

View attachment 21424

View attachment 21423

So the further along I got, the more I realized that I need to do a proper tear down and deep detailing on this fine creation. I'm going to throw as much magic Texas water as I can at the bike and try to document it all here. Getting that steer tube fixed will be the biggest hurdle and I won't be able to feel relaxed about this bike until that is resolved.

I've had them straighten out be for with a hydrological press basically. Pump jack .
1c1f9c6fae5d63220e9c5f308f94d961.jpg

For future reference good luck
I also have to have one cut & welded it doesn't always work .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 21417

View attachment 21418

View attachment 21419

View attachment 21420

View attachment 21421
View attachment 21422

View attachment 21424

View attachment 21423

Nice bike with history. Keep us posted on your refurbishing of this gem!

Made more progress today.

Besides the bent fork I found out that the chainring is also bent. I guess I'll need to track one down now.

I tried using tire slime in the rear inner tube and discovered today that the valve stem has a crack in it that's causing the leak. May have to break down and put new tires on the bike after all.[emoji31]

higgins_clean1.jpg

Latest posts

Back