Colson Flyer Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found this Colson Flyer on EBAY several days ago. It was 120 miles away and had a starting bid of $25.00. No one else bid. It's in remarkable shape- nothing is seized-even the seat is intact. The fellow selling it found in a barn he was cleaning out. It had been through two floods. He said he'd been advised to part it out, but really wanted it to go to somebody that would enjoy and appreciate it. I thanked him for his decision! He's going back to look for the chain. The wood inserts in the rims are solid. The pedals have been replaced but it's remarkably complete. I couldn't find a serial number on the bottom bracket, is there somewhere else to look? Any help dating it will be appreciated. Where/how should I begin to bring this one back to life?I have no experience in restoring a bike like of this vintage.
downsize3.jpg

The only cleaning I've done:
1124121425a.jpg

1124121427a.jpg

downsize4.jpg

downsize6.jpg

For those of you in the south: the white stuff in the background of the pictures is snow. It's cold and snowy in central upstate NY today.
I'm amazed and thrilled that these old bikes still exist and are waiting to be found- never thought I'd find one! :D

Great score! The headbadge alone is worth more than you paid for the bike & the gas to go get it! Lots of great parts on it. Hope the plan is to keep it intact! 8)

The serial number should be on the bottom bracket. It may be stamped lightly though. I have a '34 Flyer and judging by the badge I would say yours is older. The New Departure Model C was replaced by the Model D in the early to mid 30's, but the internal parts are all the same so getting the hub in shape shouldn't be difficult. If that bike were mine I would clean it up and ride it as a rat. Great find.

I'd guess late 20s, early 30s by the style of saddle and badge. I would have made that drive as well! Nice find, really.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement! I've carefully scrubbed the bottom bracket but no serial number. I'll keep you all posted when I start to revive it. Dreaming of cruising even now, open to suggestions! Thanks again
Fred

Congrats. And to get it that cheap just makes it all the better.

We are all thinking, how did we miss that ebay bid? We were sleeping. Glad you got it. Enjoy!!

1918 Ranger

Been there before! It was a local pickup only, in a remote area of NY, and the bidding ended on Thanksgiving day- if any of that makes it easier to swallow. :(
Fred

Latest posts

Back