Colson, Mercury, Missile and a Strato-jet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
found these on a Craigslist post:

a kids stratojet- destined to be decoration:

1960s Murray Missile, complete:

1940s? Colson skiptooth:

Did this originally come with a tank?

Mercury: (fairly complete):

nice finds.

That colson didn't originally have a tank or the badge would not be on the head tube. they do look cool with the wrap around tank though. just need to drill and tap a couple of holes to fit one.

The Mercury is going to come right into it without much effort either.

Your Mercury is actually a Murray...note the "fisted" seat post tube & chain wheel...dead giveaways.The Colson is worth the effort to find the tanks for if you want one of the koolest "step thru" bikes ever built & are patient.Seems alot of kool Colsons are popping up lately...check with Nickinator...he's very keen on these bikes & if he doesn't have a tank,he may know where you can get one.You may
also want to post a "wanted" kite on the CABE.That is one of the koolest chain guards ever on the little Strato-Jet...Great finds...Congrats...Pappy 8)
P.S.-If you post the serial # on your Murray,I can probably date it for you...P 8)

Here's a horrible photo I took back when I re-did the firestone cruiser. you can just see the tank mounting hole just above the light green paint. woundn't be too hard to drill and tap a hole in that headtube. there was also a bushing that the lower tank bolt slid through to keep the halves in place

I suppose you would need the proper badge too. or were there other styles? wasn't there a waterfall style that mounted on the truss rods?

Pappy said:
P.S.-If you post the serial # on your Murray,I can probably date it for you...P 8)

The code on the bottom bracket of the Murray reads " Mon 22 5000 "

The code on the bottom bracket of the Colson reads " 55970 KO"

clerkkent said:
The code on the bottom bracket of the Murray reads " Mon 22 5000 "

The code on the bottom bracket of the Colson reads " 55970 KO"

The code on the Murray-built Mecury translates to 1949... which is consistent with what we see.

These were the ones on Craig's list in the bash area right?

The mercury was interesting but I didn't need another Murray. I already have three. Then there was whole no money for bikes thing.

Colson looks to be 1941, here's a catalog pic showing snap tank and that badge...same fender paint, seat, bars, and stem.
Frame different from a "bullnose" super cruiser:

2013-08-27_004.JPG

2013-08-27_005.JPG

^ that just might be it.. mine has the white chevrons on the fender tips as well. I will examine around the headtube area to see if I can see any trace of a tank silhouette.

Special Model No. 06161 if it had a tank originally.
It is possible that the bicycle did not come with a tank I suppose; this catalog does not show this model offered w/o.
The tanks snap in, sometimes leaving a scuff at top and bottom on the inside of the tubes, if it had been taken off and put back on more than a few times over the years.

Colson and Meteor Flite

A wire wheel and some clear coat were my friends this weekend.. plus new white walls for everyone! The Colson and Meteor Flite are back on the road.

Back