Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking up wheel on Thursday.
IMG_4166.jpeg

6K…

Last edited:
Picked up wheel from @KansasRollFast on Thursday. He did a nice job working with the old warped 3step rim, 1” nipples via The CABE, spokes 14ga SS from Florida and a NOS Schwinn centennial anniversary hub. I added a Velox rim strip and a rubber one over it. With a 10T skiptooth cog from Ichi Bikes.
IMG_4169.jpeg
IMG_4170.jpeg
IMG_4171.jpeg

Last edited:
Added Columbia decal to tank.
IMG_4175.jpeg
IMG_4176.jpeg
IMG_4177.jpeg

Added rear wheel in mock-up position along with the rear rack. Still need to get the chain out of the soak bag and let it dry out.
IMG_4180.jpeg
IMG_4181.jpeg
IMG_4183.jpeg
IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4189.jpeg
IMG_4190.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice one mazda, I could only imagine the thoughts you experienced when that glass hit the floor! the light still looks great!
That electric you made, how do you find the mid drive! im reading a awful lot about them, they seem the "GO TO" method for electric bikes now!

Nice one mazda, I could only imagine the thoughts you experienced when that glass hit the floor! the light still looks great!
That electric you made, how do you find the mid drive! im reading a awful lot about them, they seem the "GO TO" method for electric bikes now!
Thanks! Yes the lens thing happened so fast there was no time to react. Thinking about how old the light was it was pretty sad to see and pickup the pieces, thinking it had survived who knows what and I break it.
The eBike has a Bafang mid drive motor. The rear wheel has a Sturmey Archer IG drum brake hub. I added a sensor that stops power to motor while shifting gears. The setup has a lot of torque.
I had the wheelset so the mid drive seemed to be the logical choice. Assembly was DIY following BaFang instructions. Build link: https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/gt-harley-davidson-nos-build.112998/

Chain power goes on today…
IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_4213.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the chain is on, fasteners, nuts and bolts checked for tightness. Took a few photos outside, put on a helmet and went for a street ride. Downhill, uphill some U-turns and turns, fork survived, everything seemed to work pretty smooth. I did return to the garage and added a thicker headset spacer to firm up the fork tube headset.
IMG_4214.jpeg
IMG_4216.jpeg
IMG_4217.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4221.jpeg

Sweet build! Get Mrs Flyer to shoot some video from the driveway. 😃
100 degrees here today, Mrs MF May be having surgery on Friday, couple more tests on Wednesday. Video may or may not happen. We’ll see.
103 now at 4:25.
That turned out great! How does the fork setup feel? It looks really cool. 👍
Thanks! Fork is pretty stiff maybe more for looks than function. I’ll need to do some more Street time and distance to make a better analysis.
I noticed the deadline this weekend. May be pushing it. Still need to fit the stock fork and do final photos.

Last edited:
GENERAL PARTS LISTING:

1921 Columbia Camelback 2-n-1

Model M8 1921 or 1934 camelback frame, model M8 used in both years.
eBay sourced 70’s BMX 20” fork.
Stock style 28” fork.
Long spring saddle, lay back seatpost.
26” triple step rims, 14ga SS spokes, 1” and 3/4” nipples, Schwinn centennial anniversary rear hub, new departure front hub, DURO 26x2.125 knobby tires, Goodyear tubes, brass valve caps.
I” Sunlite threadless headset with shims.
1” to 1-1/8” threadless adapter.
1” generic threadless stem, 1” clamp.
Origin 8 bottle cap holder steering tube cap, Yuengling bottle cap.
Wald crossbar longhorn bars with EndZone lock-on wooden grips and Schylling repop roller bell.
Silverbeam recycled motorcycle light with multiple adjustment clamp, LED bulb, toggle switch, phone wire, copper fittings and 12v RadioShack battery pack.
Period rack, fabricated reflector bracket with vintage reflectors.
NOS tool box tank, pipe hangers, modified to fit.
Columbia coffin chain ring, refurbished skiptooth chain and Ichi Bikes 10T adapter rear cog, one piece crank with 1/2” x 4.5” CV rubber block pedals.
Massload center mount double leg kickstand.
Brooks saddle springs, Simpson 90 degree brackets, 1/4” eye bolts, 5/16” and 1/4” grade 8 hardware, 3/16” flat bar springer parts.
Crawford’s Decals Columbia graphics.
Rust-O-Leum paint, Primer, Hammered Black, Warm Carmel, Harvest Peach, Satin Black.

Last edited:
Details…
IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg
IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4232.jpeg
IMG_4233.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4236.jpeg
IMG_4237.jpeg
IMG_4238.jpeg

100 degrees here today, Mrs MF May be having surgery on Friday, couple more tests on Wednesday. Video may or may not happen. We’ll see.
103 now at 4:25.
Sorry to hear about Mrs MF. Hope all goes well and she returns to regular activity soon. And 103 degrees :confused: !
26x2.125 knobby tires.
Which brand of knobbies are these , Ed? They fit the look perfectly. Gives it a toughness, yet, street worthy, look.
Crossbraced longhorn bars with EndZone lock-on wooden grips
Bars and grips might be my favorite part of this build! Those EndZone grips are now on my 'must have '....
Rust-O-Leum paint, Primer, Hammered Black, Warm Carmel, Harvest Peach, Satin Black
The paint on this really sets the build apart! You ventured into a bit of the unknown paint wise, and came out smiling.

came ed build.jpg

Sorry to hear about Mrs MF. Hope all goes well and she returns to regular activity soon. And 103 degrees :confused: !

Which brand of knobbies are these , Ed? They fit the look perfectly. Gives it a toughness, yet, street worthy, look.

Bars and grips might be my favorite part of this build! Those EndZone grips are now on my 'must have '....

The paint on this really sets the build apart! You ventured into a bit of the unknown paint wise, and came out smiling.

View attachment 241653
Thanks for the good words, I believe the tires are older knobby version DURO’s. I’ve had the grips quite a while also, might be hard to find.
Heat index was 108 yesterday due to humidity.

Mrs MF is having back surgery on Friday, so I took the opportunity to do some blah garage door iPhone shots incase I don’t have the opportunity to get away for some location photos.
IMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_4248.jpeg
IMG_4249.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg
IMG_4255.jpeg

Still need to fit the stock fork…

Last edited:
Garage door Canon EOS M50 wrong time of day shots.
IMG_0625.jpeg
IMG_0626.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0628.jpeg
IMG_0633.jpeg

Last edited:
Back