Columbia Convertible Commuter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim that video production is bad to the bone ! You could sell an endless supply of these bikes with this . I want first on the list please . Thank you [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work Jim!
Form AND Function!!!
Have you had a chance to ride it much yet?
CONGRATS on another superb build!

The bike.

The original frame is a girl's 1962 Columbia Firebolt.
Coincidentally, the bike and I share the same birth year.

The convertible tank.

The tank was originally produced for converting early 1960's
girl's Spaceliner bicycles into unique boy's bicycles.
It turned out that the tank fit's several different frames
from different manufacturers of the same era.
This Columbia is the latest discovery.

The concept.

The concept for this build was to create a sleek modern adaptation
of the vintage bike and conversion tank. The finished bike
would be very utilitarian and comfortable enough to ride anywhere.

In addition, all of the components used and all of the tools
needed to complete the build would be accessible
for any backyard builder and no physical alterations
would be required.

The result.

You decide.

Thank you to everyone on this forum who have made this years build off competition a joy to be a part of. This is a very unique community of people who constantly amaze me with both creativity and comradery. Let's keep the bar raised!

Jim (AKA The Renaissance Man)

Standing_zpspfu03nfr.jpg

02_zpsgr2uoxgb.jpg

04_zpszw7iee74.jpg

03_zpsnzs70mh5.jpg

05_zpsz0ybnlpk.jpg

Wow. Just wow.

Very nice! If you are going to use it to commute I hope you have a way to secure it when arriving at your destination. I might even cross the line for that bike.

very cool! Love the subtle colorway. Light painting? :thumbsup:
Wow Jim , Over the top and the video / studio set up ??? amazing !
The pictures where taken with a black felt back drop and soft lighting. The exposure and contrast was adjusted also to get the effect.
Marianne%20Lewis_zpsiooo2aod.jpg

...original soundtrack? Cool....
I found the music online on a free download site.
Great work Jim!
Form AND Function!!!
Have you had a chance to ride it much yet?
CONGRATS on another superb build!
I rode it yesterday evening very briefly until the rear wheel slipped in the drop outs. :blackeye: I walked it back to the shop and put it back on the stand. Apparently I had overlooked tightening the axle nuts properly in my haste to finish for photos. I'm going to go back over all of the fasteners before I take it out again.

I found the music online on a free download site.

I rode it yesterday evening very briefly until the rear wheel slipped in the drop outs. :blackeye: I walked it back to the shop and put it back on the stand. Apparently I had overlooked tightening the axle nuts properly in my haste to finish for photos. I'm going to go back over all of the fasteners before I take it out again.
I basically did the same thing I forgot to fasten the coater brake stay and when I hit the brakes it spun back & loosed up the hub . Back to the stand for another try !

You blew us away again Jim! I have a high dollar bicycle store across the street from where I work, I think their cheapest bike is about $700 bucks, they have nothing on this bike. I don't see many bike companies out there today that are building with this quality or just plain awesomeness. Very professional looking. Great job!!

Latest posts

Back