Columbia Firebolt with Tas Spitz motor

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is the same frame that I built the Columbia Convertible Commuter from, but with a bonus!

Tas%20Firebolt_zpsofjsxx0f.jpg

Does it run?

The good news is that there is a good resource for Bike Bug parts if it in fact uses common parts with a Bike Bug.:113:
It is the same motor. From what I've read, they sold them under a few different names. The most common is Bike Bug though. It has good compression, so I'm optimistic that it'll come back to life! So far I'm having a hard time finding the correct size fuel lines (of all things).:confused:

Have you checked bikebug.net ? They might have links.

Have you checked bikebug.net ? They might have links.
Yes, thanks!
I forgot the details, but there is something tricky about the fuel line connections on those things. I have only had hands on experience with one of them before, but I recall that the brass connections of the fuel line is very fragile and if it gets messed up it is a death sentence for the carburetor. Hopefully that isn't a problem on yours!

It's actually a death sentence for the fuel pump. Unfortunately I have already removed the brass connections before I found out that it's a no no.:( In my defense, they came out very easily when I was trying to remove the brittle fuel lines. It's hard to say if the PO had already pulled them out in the past or not, but either way what's done is done. The problem is that they apparently are not easy to reinstall without creating small air leaks that wreak havoc with the fuel system's ability to function properly. On the upside, I can replace the pump if I need to.

Thanks for the input, I'll take any advice that I can get!

Good to know about the brass fittings, I've never had one of these engines just been wanting one a while.
Looks like I'll learn some stuff for when I do find one.

Oh yeah...now I remember the details....:doh:
Sorry I mentioned it too late! I always figure nothing is ever too broken to make work in some way again by someone with some ingenuity and skill -- I believe you have that covered better than most. :113:
Thanks. You didn't mention it too late, I brought it up too late. I had already been fiddling with it a few days ago.
Good to know about the brass fittings, I've never had one of these engines just been wanting one a while.
Looks like I'll learn some stuff for when I do find one.
...and at my expense! :21::headbang:

There is a primer bulb in the gas line just above the gas tank. It is highly suggested not to get rid of this feature as it makes the carb. work twice as hard to get gas to engine and the engine starved of gas it can score the piston.

There is a primer bulb in the gas line just above the gas tank. It is highly suggested not to get rid of this feature as it makes the carb. work twice as hard to get gas to engine and the engine starved of gas it can score the piston.

This one is missing. I'll make sure to get one, thanks!

If the brass fittings are loose in say aluminum castings I would not hesitate to try JB weld. I have fixed all kinds of unfixable stuff with it. :soapbox:

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Before I give up and spend 30 or 40 bucks on a new fuel pump, I'll try what ever I think might work first!

Some of the stuff I have fixed W/JB weld - hole in radiator side tank - Brass, crack in radiator top tank - plastic, hole in oil pan - steel, hole in diff cover - steel, hole in fuel tank - steel.
Never removed any of 'em from the vehicles, just cleaned them real well with solvent and sandpaper.
The holes were all small pinholes caused by rust, so I back them up with a small sheet metal screw. Test fit the self tapping screw first, the remove it put some JB weld on tip of threads and on hole. Then I reinstall screw partway in and cover the works with JB weld.
JB weld is super stuff - if the joint is clean and you give it plenty of time to cure it should work for you.:)

I never liked that such a simple engine requires a fuel pump at all. On the one that I worked on in the past, I considered mounting a tank to the handle bars and letting gravity do the job. I never went that far because I did get that one running, but other than the possibility of constant flooding through that simple carb, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Maybe the engine is used on a chainsaw or yard equipment where it is run on its side.

I never liked that such a simple engine requires a fuel pump at all. On the one that I worked on in the past, I considered mounting a tank to the handle bars and letting gravity do the job. I never went that far because I did get that one running, but other than the possibility of constant flooding through that simple carb, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
I was considering this also even before the issue came up with the fittings. My concern is that it might overfill the case with fuel which can burst it from too much pressure. I'm still in the learning curve with these little two stroke engines so I'm just guessing at this point.

Just saw a couple of these things on eBay, I hope you get it running cheaper than people are asking.

Latest posts

Back