Columbia springer fork, play, rattle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with a rattling Columbia fork that has a bit of play in it. I think there might be a little piece missing, but am not sure.

Is there supposed to be a nylon ring or something in the part with the arrow?
spacerd.jpg

spacer2.jpg

Best picture I have of the complete fork:
0060boardtrack.jpg

Any help would be awesome. :D

iamrik said:
Good idea! So there should be a little play? I could imagine... the fork being about 60 years old.
I still have play on my cheap eBay springer, but, no rattle and just enough space so the shaft will not bind.

I would use a brass bushing to be a slip fit; you can usually find a bunch at your hardware store in the 'Jansdorf' (or whichever brand they use) bins. They might have one that fits both dia.s, or get one that fits the bolt shank and a little oversize to the bracket and you can 'turn' it to fit by chucking in a drill and filing, if you buy one long enough (and dont have a lathe), then cut it off to length. If you need it to be 'captured' by the nut, turn it so it has a shouldered cap at the top. (ie, looks like an upsidedown tophat)

take a closer look at the inside of the top nut that turns down inside of the spring. near the top there should be a groove machined to accept a rubber o-ring. curious to know what you find.

update : the part that went in that groove was a flat rubber ? lookin washer that measures 7/8 " od, 1/2" id and 2 mm thick. I think that a Teflon standard washer with those measurements will work.

Back