Commuting by Ratrod bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've been using a different bike every day to work and back. It's only 3 miles, but it's a workout on a heavy bike. I just added the flame decals to my old Schwinn.

Saving on gas too and dropping a little weight. Cholesterol and bp have dropped also, to where I don't take any meds for them anymore. No red meat helps too.

350owtv.jpg

2lmv53l.jpg

No red meat? How do you do it.... :oops: I love a good bike ride too, last summer before i sold it, I rode my Bootlegger bike all the way to Peru and back. Wore my out of shape but out....lol. But it does help. Keep up the good work.

that poor little sticker looks so outta place on that hand painted/pinstriped tank.

Cool Schwinn, Wildcat!! Ah, the days of commuting by a bike of any kind. I did it for a while when I lived in Phoenix, but for the last 11 or 12 years, my commute has been 36 miles each way. Wish I had some good ideas to solve that one. Glad to hear it's paying off for you in so many ways!

Good thing I didn't mention the fake rattlesnake hub shiners made from an old belt.

2v96olx.jpg

I sure wish I could freehand some flames, I might give it a try.

my commute used to be too dangerous, as the main way was a major highway. Now I park 2 miles away. I take the bike off the car rack and then its a short pleasant ride via backstreets to work and back. The best part is any bike in my collection can handle a 4 mile round trip. 8)

Bigcam59 said:
my commute used to be too dangerous, as the main way was a major highway. Now I park 2 miles away. I take the bike off the car rack and then its a short pleasant ride via backstreets to work and back. The best part is any bike in my collection can handle a 4 mile round trip. 8)
Now that's a good idea I'd never thought about.

I purposely waited for base housing (I'm retired) so I could be closer to work. Just one busy intersection to walk across and it's mostly bike path to the base, then a mile on base which is a breeze.
That's unheard of here in Jax, it's nearly impossible to commute by bike here. Too much traffic and it's too spread out, everyone is more than 15 miles from work.

icyuod2 said:
that poor little sticker looks so outta place on that hand painted/pinstriped tank.
Looks more like a water slide decal to me..... :wink: :lol:

nice! i ride my bikes everywhere i even do the shopping some times :D

RestoRodSchwinn said:
Cool Schwinn, Wildcat!! Ah, the days of commuting by a bike of any kind. I did it for a while when I lived in Phoenix, but for the last 11 or 12 years, my commute has been 36 miles each way. Wish I had some good ideas to solve that one. Glad to hear it's paying off for you in so many ways!

electric conversion?

nick_ish said:
RestoRodSchwinn said:
electric conversion?
Now, that would be a cool build! Have one of those front hub motors with the battery pack in a retro looking basket on the rear rack . . . With the way gas prices are going . . .

I've been tempted to do the electric hub thing, but I'm sticking to pedaling only, gotta get some more weight off and keep the bp down.

i've kinda wanted to, but the minuses add up just a bit too much.

i work 2nd shift so i'd be riding home after midnight, plus the shortest route is about 9mls and includes a road with no shoulder that i wouldn't want to ride even in the day time. now that i think about it, i'll have to measure what i think is the safest route, but i believe it'll add about 2-3mls to the trip. i'm playing with an electric idea though, so that might still work if i were able to make something nice and efficient.

3mls though, that would be great. i envy you that.

Back