conundrum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The solution is that I just need to get riding. The problem is more interresting and difficult though and certainly not an uncommon one. So i will elaborate.

I used to ride alot (emphasis added). First of course was the Huffy Thunderbolt wtih grips that made my hands bleed, then road biking in school, then mountain, with maybe a single speed in there somewhere. I have owned many really nice bikes (and a couple of junkers). Anyway, a few years back, OK more than a few, i built up a really nice mountain bike. Hand made steel frame (Boston builder currently defunct). One of the most comfortable hard tails and quickest handling bikes i have ever owned. hand built my wheels etc. etc. I rode it a bit the first summer, then less and less as kids, house and so forth happened. Only rode it twice last summer for a total of about 10 miles, pulling the kids in a trailer.

On the one hand i just dont see putting that bike back into the kind of service that it used to get (or was designed and built for).

And on the other hand, i could never replace it. Anyone heard of Rhygin Racing? I've got an 18" Juke with rasta paint (which is another reason for changing bikes at this time in my life).

This summer I need to make a concerted effort to pedal (probably pulling the kid(s) in the trailer). But the current bike is just not suited for this type of action.

At first i thought if i had to do it over that t cyclocross bike would be optimal as there are plenty of pot holes and dirt roads around here and if necessary i could trail ride with it.

A road bike is out, a ful suspension bike is too much, I will not ride a hybrid, a single speed is impractical in my neighboorhood...

Iam spoiled by a history of eclectic bikes so I've got that going against me.....Deep down I would like to build a boardtracker inspired, multigear, comfortabl but sporty machine. But in truth, i just need to get riding again....
UGGGGGGGG!

I feel your pain. I've ridden BMX all of my life, managed to destroy my knees/shoulders over time, somehow came down with Vertigo last April, and managed to break my back about a month ago. Now I am fat, basically all I can do now is put around on flat ground. If only I was a teenager again :( , but I'd probably just repeat the future!

Assuming you still have the Rhygen bike. Just modify it. Save the parts from the original setup. The best bike is always the one you have.

Try-
New seat
Shorter more upright stem.
1x9 derailer setup. No front D.
Rigid fork.

I could mod the Rhygin but just a component change wont make the rasta paint scheme go away. Im afraid the color scheme sends the wrong message if you know what i mean. But it is a classic so i couldn't repaint it either, or break out the sawzall and welder for that matter. I think it's time to say goodbye to a good friend :( .

Got some inspiration over the weekend, did an overhaul on my friends MTB and dug out my Rhygin. Decided i'm going to keep it and get back in the saddle. need to pick up a rear slick so i can use my trainer before i embarass myself out of doors.... :lol:
DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

that's a sweet bike. ya, you need to ride it.

looks like nothing a stem swap wouldn't fix :D the rasta scheme isn't so bad, at least there aren't any marijuana leaf graphics........ :mrgreen:

ride the wheels off it.. that looks like a sweet ride. that rainbow.. i mean rasta paint isn't bad.. just becareful what parade you go to.

Back